cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Camera Companies Trying To Rip Us Off ?

Robodot
Enthusiast

Are camera companies trying to artificially boost sales from mirrorless camera designs that require new lenses ?

Instead of making a mirrorless cameras that uses a special lens, why dont they just remove the mirror and install a electronic viewfinder in existing DSLR bodies so we can use the lenses we already have?

Hmmm

13 REPLIES 13

@Robodot wrote:

Are camera companies trying to artificially boost sales from mirrorless camera designs that require new lenses ?

Instead of making a mirrorless cameras that uses a special lens, why dont they just remove the mirror and install a electronic viewfinder in existing DSLR bodies so we can use the lenses we already have?

Hmmm

I'm going to guess that the real (technical) answer is beyond your comprehension and that it would be a waste of our time to try to answer it in sufficiently simple terms. But note that Canon does provide an adapter that lets you use the lenses you already have. Indeed, their FF mirrorless cameras let you use EF-S lenses, which their FF DSLRs don't (again for a technical reason that you can look up if you care to).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

And the Canon adapters actually *improve* the functionality of the older lenses with an extra control dial.

And, if Canon did implement your idea you would complain because this mirrorless DSLR would cost more than the existing DSLR.

I suggest that we stop feeding the troll.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I suggest that we stop feeding the troll.

Very true.  Surprised Robodot is still on the forum.  Our Canon benefactors are very patient...

Ha ha ha, its a shame you dont have any imagination as to what could be or insight to what is happening. Also the nasty, personal remarks are tasteless and shows  ignorance. 

The dslr is a mirrorless camera in its own right, just no EVF, sad, very sad you cant see that. those adapters are not what you make them out to be.

Its just another added cost, adds even more confusion to an already technology overloaded hobby, takes the fun out of taking pictures. They are not guaranteed to work or work well and the tripod mounts to it instead of the camera. 

Its easy to see what is happening and just glad i did not buy into the mirrorless camera vacuum. 

I dont mind leaving this forum, it has not helped in any way or opened any door of conversation or exploration of this form of art. 

"Its just another added cost, adds even more confusion to an already technology overloaded hobby, takes the fun out of taking pictures"

Now for the correct answer as I will now give you the real reason why.  There are limits to what can be achieved with the current EF mount.  Canon is there. The limit has been reached. It is little different than the inadequate FD mount to EF way back. A mirrorless camera only shares the fact it has a sensor to a DSLR. The rest is pretty much different. Canon is not looking at this year for technology upgrades but several years down the road, too. Perhaps decades!

Whether it takes the fun out of it, is totally up to you. I could be happy and have "fun" with a full manual camera.  Just give me a shutter release!

"I dont mind leaving this forum, it has not helped in any way or opened any door..."

Also, whether you go or stay is also totally up to you.  You are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.  Remember there are good people and there are bad people. The forum is no different.  Ignore the ones you don't care for and read the ones you do.  That is what I do and I have stayed around for a long, long time.

Consider this before you leave!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Its just another added cost, adds even more confusion ..."

I can tell you, that I was not happy when the FD mount was discontinued either. I was way more vocal than you have been so far.  Later I come to realize that it had to change to do what Canon wanted it to do. At that time I was able to talk with our local  Canon rep, which I don't believe Canon has anymore, several times. My company bought a lot of camera gear and got a lot of attention. 

Times change.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

tmc784
Enthusiast

I stick with my 5D4 and very happy with it,  I won't switch to mirrorless and don't need to spend more money to build up lens series.

All photos now can be adjusted by LR or PS, so it doesn't matter  DSLR or Mirrorless.

The main practical advantages I can see for mirrorless are potential reduced weight and lower cost due to a simplified mechanism but that is somewhat offset by increased power consumption of the live view system and potential sensor heating depending upon the type of view setup used.  For most of what I do the viewfinder lag and low light performance of the EVF system would have to be improved before I would consider making the switch but others will certainly differ.  Most of my shooting is sports often done under poor lighting.  

Each camera architecture has advantages and drawbacks and each will excel in its best environment while suffering weaknesses in other applications.  For the majority of people, either will cover all of their needs and for them the lower cost mirrorless solution would be a good choice depending upon their current stock of lenses.

But neither would fare well if camera makers tried to force the alternate architecture into an existing body which would impose artificial and undesirable constraints upon the technology.  This is no different than trying to simply append a "digital back" into an older design without allowing for the additional supporting cast that provided for some of the digital benefits and attributes.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

The main practical advantages I can see for mirrorless are potential reduced weight and lower cost due to a simplified mechanism but that is somewhat offset by increased power consumption of the live view system and potential sensor heating depending upon the type of view setup used.  For most of what I do the viewfinder lag and low light performance of the EVF system would have to be improved before I would consider making the switch but others will certainly differ.  Most of my shooting is sports often done under poor lighting.  

Rodger

What they need to do is have a low power viewfinder mode that only turns on the pixels required for the viewfinder.

Announcements