cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amateur digital photographer

jbcohen
Contributor

I recently picked up my older Canon EOS XT out of storage and bought a new Power Shot SX510HS and set out to develop a digital photography hobby.  I have a small family so there is not much oportunity of photo sessions there however I intend to develop an ability to photograph neighborhood nature, which can be quite spectacular this time of the year.  For software I had an old version of Adobe Photoshop Elements and I really did not like how I needed to use several different modules to get my photo editing done, so now I am working with Corel Paintshop Pro and I have been looking for a web hang out with others that may share my developing past time of digital photography as well as teach me a thing or two about my chosen past time.  My old XT will be my high end DSLR while the powershot will be main lower end camera.  I have recently learned when to use a DSLR and when to use the power shot, it is not always possible for me to run around with a big bulky DSLR as they take up a lot of room, the power shot will do those situations while the DSLR will go with me on short trips.

I use to do a lot of photography many years ago when my son was born but gave it up for some reason.  I got the DSLR about that point.  Although the DSLR did not go to the delivery, that was a long since dead Power Shot A 10 that did that.

I have learned that there are basically three types of Canon cameras: EOS, Power Shot A and Power Shot SX.  The EOS are high end DSLRs that are typically bigger and cost more but give a lot of control over the photo taking process.  The Power Shot A cameras are more for the beginner photographer as they are cheaper and smaller but do not give a lot of control over the photo taking process.  The Power Shot SX cameras seem to be hybrid combinations of the EOS and Power Shot A cameras.

This is my hello to forum members.

1 REPLY 1

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ok, let's do it.

I agree and I disagree with some of your descriptions.  The main difference in the cameras is the sensor.  The sensor is very small in the P&S cameras and is thusly limited to what can be brough out of it.  I know the G16, or G15, is a very fine P&S and can make fantastic photos.  A lot of pros use them as back-ups.

As to PSE, I would encourage you to go back and try again.  Better yet upgrade to the latest version.  Adobe software is where it is at if you ever decide to expand your hobby so you will need to be in the brand anyway.

You didn't mention what lenses you have availble?

I can't help you with Corel since I don't use it.  Are you going to get a photo printer?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements