cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new Canon EOS 90D on the way?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Well...  according to DPR, Canon Australia let slip a video for a short period of time highlighting, among other things the Canon 90D. Since the cat is well and truly out of the bag, I hope this will not be unacceptable to Canon to show what's on line.

90D Video  DRP Article

I this is correct, I am personally glad that they have continued with the series.  At 35MP it would certainly be a jump up in sensor resolution from the previous model.  I am still curious if this is going to replace, or be in addition to, a possible 7DMkIII...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tronhard wrote:

At 35MP it would certainly be a jump up in sensor resolution from the previous model.  I am still curious if this is going to replace, or be in addition to, a possible 7DMkIII...

I am curious about the 7D Series, too.  That would be the highest resolution APS-C sensor on the market.  A full frame sensor with a similar pixel pitch would be in the 70 MP neighborhood.  A 70MP FF sensor in a professional R Series body would be a hit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I am curious about the 7D Series, too.  That would be the highest resolution APS-C sensor on the market.  A full frame sensor with a similar pixel pitch would be in the 70 MP neighborhood.  A 70MP FF sensor in a professional R Series body would be a hit.

Given the close to implosion of the ILC camera market I suspect that Canon, like many other makers, will have to pare down its market spaces, and the associated costs of development and production that go with them. Thus I would not be totally surprised to see the demise of the 7DMkIII. 

With the inevitable rise in the MILC technology the pressure must surely be on to stop developement in the DSLR area - a market space which, if I am not mistaken, has taken quite a hit across many brands.

That said I would love to have a 90D at some stage, when the prices drop a bit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

At 35MP it would certainly be a jump up in sensor resolution from the previous model.  I am still curious if this is going to replace, or be in addition to, a possible 7DMkIII...

I suppose it would be a hit with those who have to produce really huge prints. But a 70-MP RAW file would present a bit of a challenge to the computers that most of us use for our editing.

BTW, what's going on in the MF world as FF and APS-C pixel counts continue to climb? Are MF cameras keeping pace?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I suppose it would be a hit with those who have to produce really huge prints. But a 70-MP RAW file would present a bit of a challenge to the computers that most of us use for our editing.

BTW, what's going on in the MF world as FF and APS-C pixel counts continue to climb? Are MF cameras keeping pace?

I do not think so.  But Fujifilm recently released a medium format 100 MP camera, GFX-100 for 10 grand.

You’re right.  A 70 MP RAW file would present a challenge when it came to storage and post processing.  Fortunately, they allow the cameras to capture lower resolutions if you want it to.  And, Lightroom allows you to load and edit a lower resolution preview, instead of the actual full size file.  Edits are applied to the actual file when you output a JPG.

Personally, I think am with you.  I would not be inclined to pick one up without upgrading my computers and storage capacity.  I think about 5 photos from Fujifilm GFX-100 take up 1 GB of space.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It would be amusing if they fooled us all and introduced the R-2 in time for the Christmas season.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements