cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wide angle lenses

barrisster
Contributor

I finally broke down and purchased a 5d mk III.  Now I would like to purchase a wide angle lense.  I have a 24-105 is L; 70-200 is f4L and and a 50 1.4. 

I am not married to canon for the wide angle, but would like a quality lense, be it prime or zoom.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

I really like the EF 20/2.8 on my FF camera...

Pacific sunset

Pigeon Point LH 1

Pigeon Point 2

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

cicopo
Elite

A lot of people go for the 17-40 F4 L or those willing to spend a lot more for faster glass buy the 16-35 f2.8 L version 2. One other choice I like is the Sigma 12-24 but that's really wide on a full frame. With that said I've never felt the 17-40 L deserved / lived up to it's price (and yes I have one plus the Sigma)

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hsbn
Whiz
Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F2.8 or TS-E 17mm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
The EF 16-36mm f/2.8L II USM is extremely nice. The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM is a bit more affordable though (f/2.8 zooms are never cheap).

I have the EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM -- an exceptionally good lens... but not cheap. But a 14mm lens on a full frame body is extremely wide.

All of these are "rectilinear" wide angle lenses -- which means the lens is designed to keep "straight" lines in real life looking "straight" in the photo.

Canon also makes the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM. A "fish eye" is a curvilinear lens... meaning that straight lines are allowed to start to round out into arcs. This is a completely different look than a typical wide angle.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ratan
Enthusiast

It really depends on your budget and what purpose.

If you like to take landscape photographs and have all in the time in the world, I would choose prime lenses

If you like to versatality and just mainly focus on AF then I would choose zoom lenses.

(remember primes have superior quality to zooms, but zooms got the versatality, therefore you have to sacrifice either one)

• the 16-35mm is the most used canon lens with stellar quality and perfect range. If you get this you can cover the full range (16-35, 24-105, 70-200)
  • the 14mm is a specialty lens, definetly worth the money and any landscape photographer's jewel. Just 14mm range to some is not a practical range.
  • the 35mm 1.4 Sigma art lens --> the underdog that can perform better than their canon nikon counterparts (arguably best 35mm on the market)
  • If you want to go economical... then 17-40.. you don't have to ask if its good or not. its a bang for the buck.

Personally I would push for the 16-35 or the 35 1.4

Hope this helps

I hope this helps.

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most of photography is use orientated. I f you have good equipment. The rest is up to you.

I recommend the 17-40mm f4 L. Yes, on a focus target, the 16-35mm f2.8 L is probably better. In the real world of photography, I doubt anybody can tell the difference. Plus the f4 to f2.8 L is only one stop. One stop is not a deal breaker or maker, most of the time.

The 8-15mm f4 L is by far the most fun lens to have. And like I said it ia all bout how the photographer, you, uses it.

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

This lens may not be the most practibile but it is a ball to play around with. Get the 17-40mm f4 L and you won't go wrong.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

I really like the EF 20/2.8 on my FF camera...

Pacific sunset

Pigeon Point LH 1

Pigeon Point 2

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM

Thank you for our inputs.   I think I am going to a prime with 20mm looking the best all around for my needs.

Announcements