cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which is the best camera and lens for professional photography, weddings, portraits etc?

Hchambers22
Apprentice

which is the best camera and lens for professional photography, weddings, portraits etc? plus landscapes and events

i currently have a canon eos 500d and definetly need an upgrade.

any suggestions?

ive seen the EOS -1D X mark 2.

not sure if i need this or an EOS 5D

2 REPLIES 2

diverhank
Authority

Wow...it's pretty hard to answer your question properly as there will not be any particular right or wrong answers...

The obvious line you're gonna get a lot is that it's the photographer and not the equipment that matters...So let's assume that you already have the skills of a professional photographer so we can only discuss the equipment.

I personally think that it is pretty hard to use just one camera and lens for everything that you stated.  For weddings, I think the most popular Canon camera being used is the 5D Mark III, followed by the 6D and the 1DX.  The most popular lenses used are probably the 24-105mm f/4L or 24-70mm f/2.8L II, coupled with a 85mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.2L II.  For wider shots, a 16mm-35mm zoom is also popular.

For landscapes, many people prefer using the 5DS or 5DSR for increased resolution (50 megapixel vs. 22 for 5D MIII).  I've been using a 5D Mark III for the last 4 years and have been very happy with it, even with landscapes.  But then, I'm not a professional photographer.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Another high performance camera worth mentioning is the APS-C body camera, the 7D Mark II.  It can serve as a backup, or give you extra reach over a full frame camera like 1D, 5D, and 6D cameras.

Another high performance lens worth mentioning is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II USM lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements