cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which full frame body - EOS 6d or Mark III

Vatsala
Contributor

Hi 

I am graduating as a cinematographer soon and considering a new camera kit. Since I am also a hard core still photography lover, I have thought of investing a full frame sensor body. 

I will be using my new camera equally for both still and motion picture photography. 

I would like to know the reviews on the Canon EOS 6D and how it compares to the EOS 5D MARK III. 

I was thinking I should go for the cheaper full frame body ( EOS 6D) and invest on the lens range - where I'm thinking of investing in the L series IS USM category lenses. 

I would like to know from users their honest opinion from experience. 

15 REPLIES 15

@hsbn wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

@fyigmo63 wrote:

I wish the OP would chime back in and update us on any decsions to date.

Me too.  I'm especially interested if the OP did his/her research and learned about the potential moire issues with the 6D video...  or just based a decision over the useless information in this thread.

Look like he got the 6D from other thread.

Intesting.  I'm sorry we drove him off with our bickering. 

OP if you're still lurking:  I'm curious if you looked into the moire issue with the 6D.  I couldn't really see much of an issue in real world testing with mine, but I'm no videographer.  Just wondering how that factored into your decision.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Ahhh, but the 5D Mk III is and the 6D ain't. Get over it.

You may want to go have a good look at exactly what Canon does, and does not, say about the sealing before taking your 5d3 out in the rain.  It may save you an expensive repair bill.

"...  before taking your 5d3 out in the rain."

Ahh, again, my friend too late, it has already been out in the rain and other elements as well and it survived.  Smiley Surprised

Unbelievable as it may be to you, a 6D is not and will never be a 5D Mk III.  A 6D is simply Canon's idea of an entry level FF.

If a person can afford the price of admission, the 5D is the way to go. Sorry for the addition of more "useless information".

But, hey, it's free. What do you want?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  before taking your 5d3 out in the rain."

Ahh, again, my friend too late, it has already been out in the rain and other elements as well and it survived.  Smiley Surprised

Unbelievable as it may be to you, a 6D is not and will never be a 5D Mk III.  A 6D is simply Canon's idea of an entry level FF.

If a person can afford the price of admission, the 5D is the way to go. Sorry for the addition of more "useless information".

But, hey, it's free. What do you want?

Heh, you don't actually read what anybody else writes, do you? 

That's great about the rain, very impressive.  I've had my 6D in the rain too, and my 400D, in torrential downpours in South East Asia.  Works fine.  But I wouldn't tell someone it's weatherproof, because it's not.  Nor is the 5d3.  If you don't believe me, look it up.  But don't tell people  it is until you actually know what you're talking about.  Some unfortunate guy is going to listen to you and ruin his camera.

I doubt there has ever been a single person to visit this webpage that doesn't consider $1500 mere pocket change.  Anybody that rich sends their chauffeur to the store to buy their camera without even researching it.  Just because somebody has $4000 in the bank doesn't mean they should buy the 5d3.  They should weigh the options, benefits, and their needs, and make an educated decision.  That’s why I try to provide useful information and comparison, instead of simply tell them what to buy.  Let them decide.  I have yet to see you make a single recommendation based on anything but hype and catch phrases.  Buy the best and only cry once!

"Heh, you don't actually read what anybody else writes, do you?"

Mr./Ms. Skruball do all 6D owners you know feel this inadequate around 5D owners? As I have opined to you before, if you are so irked by my posts, stop reading them! There is even an 'ignore' feature on this forum.

Again, a 6D is not and will never be a 5D Mk III. Accept it. Weather sealing was simply just one point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

There are a million comparisons online.  I suggest going to Canon Rumors if you want to do some research.  Despite eBiggs' hot air I'll sum it up for you real quick:

The 5d3 has a vastly superior AF system.  If you shoot a lot of sports then you'll notice the difference.  Otherwise, you mostly won't.

Announcements