cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which body for fastest single shot AF?

maximme
Apprentice

I am using 60D and finds that for quick candid shots, i just can't get fast AF lock.

Which body should i upgrade to?
I read about servo AF but in my case i only need single shot AF.
A snappy AF is what i need.

8 REPLIES 8

Your question may be addressing only half of your problem. AF speed (or lack thereof) can be due as much to the lens as to the body. What lens(es) are you using with your 60D?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

100mm f2

@maximme wrote:

100mm f2

I'm not familiar with that lens, but its reviews on the Canon site tend to emphasize its sharpness, not its focusing speed. Apparently it's mainly intended as a portrait lens. Maybe you should include a new lens in your search, depending on what you hear from those who have actually used the 100mm.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@maximme wrote:

100mm f2

Robert is right... It's not just the camera... It's also the lens. And it's also the user themselves.

The EF 100mm f2.0 USM is a reasonably fast focusing lens. In most cases, USM lenses are the fastest. (But not always. The EF 100/2.8 USM macro lenses are much slower focusing, by design. The same is true of the f1.2L lenses. All these emphasize accuracy over speed, due to their potential for very shallow depth of field.)

60D is no slouch focusing. You'll get the best out of it with One Shot for stationary subjects or AI Servo for moving subjects. Avoid AI Focus, which isn't really a distinct focus mode at all. In AI Focus, the camera is supposed to decide for you whether or not the subject is moving, and then switch to using the appropriate focus mode.

I'd also suggest using only a single, manually selected AF point. The center one is best on your camera. It has enhanced performance with f2.8 and faster lenses. The other 8 poitns aren't bad either. By pre-selecting the point, you eliminate any delay the camera might have, while it's detecting and choosing what to focus upon.

Have you tried Back Button Focusing? This is a popular sports photographer method, especially in combination with AI Servo. BBF is explained in more detail here: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml 

BBF allows you to start autofocus and begin tracking a subject (whether moving or not) well before taking the shot. It's then just up to you to keep the AF point right on the subject.

All that said, AF still is dependent on good light and a nice contrasty subject to give best performance. And, it will always have a fraction of a second delay while it does it's thing (which is why BBF can be handy). Still, AF today is a whole lot faster and more accurate than I ever was, focusing my old cameras manually! And I was actually pretty darned good, if I may say so.

In answer to your question, though... 7D, 7DII and the 1D series cameras are the fastest focusing. They all would be slightly faster than your 60D, because they have a dedicated chip runing the AF, where your camera and most other Canon models run their AF with the same processor that's handling images and such. Your 60D should be very good at tracking and focus speed, while the 7D might be called very, very good... and the 7DII very, very, very fast and good at it.

Beyond the gear, how the user sets up the camera and lens, their technique, and their experience and skill all can make a noticeable difference, too. I took nearly 5000 images at a couple fast moving equestrian events recently... Missing focus on 50 or fewer images with my 7Ds (EF 70-200/4 IS USM and EF 300/4 IS USM lenses, mostly... a few shots with EF 24-70/2.8 USM, tho). I'd chalk up at least half those misses to me - shooting too fast, not keeping the AF point on the subject, failing to press or missing the button with my thumb (d'oh!)... But a few inexplicable ones due to the cameras and lenses. Still, under 1% missed focus... not bad IMO.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Which body should i upgrade to?"

I have not tried all the Rebels and xxD models that Canon has but I would suspect the 1 series bodies are the fastest.  Removing the lens and you from the mix.  You may not be ready for the extra cost and weight, though.

Even at that I think it would be close if the camera body is the only thing you are comparing.  The 1 series is able to handle more challenging situations, than most other models can.

IMHO, I would choose and use a 1D Mk IV or 1Dx with a EF 70-200mm f2.8l IS II.  At any rate if this combo can't do it, it most likely can't be done.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

@maximme wrote:

I am using 60D and finds that for quick candid shots, i just can't get fast AF lock.....

It just occured to me, we've been discussing focus speed and different camera models, but might have overlooked something...

Are you aware that one of your cameras two AF modes (AI Servo and One Shot) is designed NOT to lock? AI Servo is continuous focus, constantly updating, intended for use with moving subjects... If you have the camera in AI Servo mode (or if you've set to  AI Focus, the subject is moving, and the camera has selected AI Servo mode for you).... the focus will not lock. It's not supposed to and with moving subjects you don't want it to lock. If it did, any moving subject would almost certainly move out of focus before you have time to react and take the photo.

In contrast, One Shot focus mode is designed to achieve focus, stop and lock. It's useful with stationary subjects.

In One Shot, as soon as AF has been achieved and locked, the camera gives you Focus Confirmation. That's indicated by the green LED in the viewfinder lighting up.... and the audible "beep" if you have it enabled.

In AI Servo, there is no Focus Confirmation. That's because there is nothing to confirm since focus is continuous, never stops running, changing and updating as long as you hold the shutter release button half-pressed (or maintain pressure on the back button assigned to run AF).

If set to AI Focus, it can go either way depending upon whether or not the camera thinks the subject is moving. If it thinks the subject is stationary and chooses One Shot mode, you'll get Focus Confirmation. If the camera detects movement and chooses AI Servo, no Focus Confirmation is possible or will be given.

In AI Servo you need to learn to trust the camera, lens and yourself, instead of relying on the camera to notify you when focus is achieved.

Once again, 60D's AF is pretty darned fast and good, even if not particularly fancy.

For more info about getting the best out of  Canon AF systems, I highly recomment watching three half-hour videos available online. These are a seminar about AF presented by Canon's Rudy Winston and have been posted online by B&H Photo. The first of the three videos is at: https://vimeo.com/36931479

Those videos are a few years old now, but certainly are still relevant and helpful. Even for newer models like the 60D. In fact, the 50D that's discussed in the videos has nearly identical AF system and AF performance to your 60D (except that 50D has Micro Focus Adjust, while 60D doesn't).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I agree with the general comments that this sounds more like a "lens" issue than a "camera" issue.  Yes, technically some cameras can analyze and issue focus change instructions to the lens faster than other cameras.  The cameras optimized for sports (7D, 7D II, 1D X, and even the 5D III) are very fast.  But the 60D is no slouch.

The more likely delay is the speed at which the lens focusing motor can respond.  The motor goes as fast as it goes... regardless of which camera body you use (the speed of the moor is the same).  

Some lenses have a reputation for being particularly speedy... and some have a reputation for not being particularly fast.  

Though the "USM" focusing motor tends to be fast, there are even differences among USM lenses.   

The Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM for being extremely fast to focus... and yet the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM (with a pricetag more than 4x higher) is not nearly as fast to auto-focus (but that lens is not designed for situations where you need to shoot in a hurry.)

"AI Servo" mode just means that the camera will continuously update focus while you keep the focusing system active (either by doing a half-press of the shutter or by using back-button focus -- depending on how you've configured your camera.)  It doesn't focus any faster (again, the speed of the camera focus motors are whatever they are).  "One Shot" focus mode focuses just as fast... but will stop focusing (and not even re-evaluate focus) as soon as it locks focus on an AF point.  This might make one think that "AI Servo" is better -- but the truth is if you KNOW your subject is stationary then you should use "One Shot" (it is better) and if you KNOW your subject is moving (distance to subject is constantly changing) then you should use "AI Servo").

There is "AI Focus" and if you're trying to focus in a hurry DO NOT use this mode.  AI Focus isn't a true mode like "One Shot" and "AI Servo" mode... instead "AI Focus" simply means that the computer will auto-decide whether to use "One Shot" vs. "AI Servo".  But in order to auto-decide for you, the computer has to take a moment to analyze the subject to decide if it thinks the subject distance is changing.  If not, it focuses as if you had selected "One Shot".  If the distance is changing then it focuses as if you had selected "AI Servo".    BUT... the penalty is that making that evaluation means the computer needs a few moments to evaluate subject movement and that WILL inject a delay into the focusing performance.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

For subject that are moving, or may move like taking candids you should be using AIServo.

Don't worry about changing your lens or your camera, just use AIServo instead of One Shot.

Announcements