cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the solution to take a shot with Canon 5D mark II for long time (e.g, 30 hours)?

parham
Apprentice

Hi everybody,

I am performing some academic tests in laboratory, which needs photography. We have a canon 5D mark II. Each test might take 30-40 hours and we need to take a shot every half an hour automatically. The problem is that after 4 hours, the battery charge run out and the camera shut down and we should charge the battery immediately for half an hour left to the next shot. In fact, I could not find Standby option to save the battery charge. Do I need to buy the power adaptor (I do not think it is safe)? Should I buy a grim with extra batteries? Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

A battery grip will allow you to fit 2 batteriesthereby doubling the shooting time available. An external power supply will allow you to run the camera almost indefinitely so would be much more suitable.

However if you do buy a power supply be sure to buy the genuine Canon one for your camera, there are a lot of cheap chinese versions on the market which could have questionable quality concerns and may well cause damage to your camera.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ray-uk
Whiz

A battery grip will allow you to fit 2 batteriesthereby doubling the shooting time available. An external power supply will allow you to run the camera almost indefinitely so would be much more suitable.

However if you do buy a power supply be sure to buy the genuine Canon one for your camera, there are a lot of cheap chinese versions on the market which could have questionable quality concerns and may well cause damage to your camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Grip won't do the job, go with a AC adapter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements