cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video question - 7d

Fuce
Apprentice

I don't use video very often, but I tried it a couple of times recently while shooting hockey.  It seems to work really well for short periods of time, but if I leave it in video mode in the off position for several minutes (the video off, not the camera), the screen goes dark.  When I then turn it back on and try to film, the image looks way overexposed. It looked the same way on the computer when I downloaded.

What am I doing wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike, thanks for the response.  I think I found that the problem was caused by failing to adjust the exposure because I had left it in M mode.  I thought the camera automatically adjusted exposure when in video mode (regardless of setting).  I now realize that if it is left in M, I need to adjust exposure manually.  The video was simply overexposed.  Next time I will move it to the auto mode before shooting video or adjust the aperature and shutter if I want to shoot the video manually. 

When the camera is asleep, I awaken it by hitting the video button.  Is that correct?  Moving it around did not improve exposure but I'm sure that's because it was overexposed.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

Fuce,

I would like to gather some additional information from you if you don't mind.

1. What mode is the MODE DIAL set to?
  2. What button are you pressing to wake the camera after the screen goes blank?
  3. Does moving the camera around, pointing in different directions make the camera re-aquire proper exposure?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike, thanks for the response.  I think I found that the problem was caused by failing to adjust the exposure because I had left it in M mode.  I thought the camera automatically adjusted exposure when in video mode (regardless of setting).  I now realize that if it is left in M, I need to adjust exposure manually.  The video was simply overexposed.  Next time I will move it to the auto mode before shooting video or adjust the aperature and shutter if I want to shoot the video manually. 

When the camera is asleep, I awaken it by hitting the video button.  Is that correct?  Moving it around did not improve exposure but I'm sure that's because it was overexposed.

Thanks again.

Announcements