cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from a 60D to an 80D?

BlairW
Enthusiast

I own a 60D my only DSLR, I’m thinking about buying an 80D. my 60D would be a backup then. Is a 80D worth the upgrade? thanks, Blair

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Peter wrote:

The sensor is better.  Less noise, 13 EV of dynamic range vs 11,5 EV at ISO 100, 7 fps vs 5 fps, 45 af points vs 9 af points, faster write speed to the SD card: 85 MB/s vs 21 MB/s.

I knew it has a better sensor but did not know about improved dynamic range. I also like the 45-point all cross-type AF system....Allowing me to shoot in low light levels is a plus for me, I have a birdbath and they come at dusk.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@Peter wrote:
If I don´t remember it wrong [Brand N] had some thingy in the past about cutting the lowlight. Something that made it an issue to take pictures of stars.

Brand N bakes in two things into their RAW files that Canon didn't in the past. Both of them impact Astrophotographers. One of them is the Black Point and the other is a median like noise reduction filter.

These two things baked into the RAW file were the most significant reason why Brand N scored better in the testing companies DR tests.

Google: Black Clipping hack Brand N* for Astrophotographers

Google: Brand N* Mode 3 work around

* when Googling replace 'Brand N' with the appropriate company name

Peter
Authority
Authority
And a sensor patent (A/D) from December last year. But still I haven't found any proof that 80D has only on-chip.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Image sensor.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements