cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from a 60D to an 80D?

BlairW
Enthusiast

I own a 60D my only DSLR, I’m thinking about buying an 80D. my 60D would be a backup then. Is a 80D worth the upgrade? thanks, Blair

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Peter wrote:

The sensor is better.  Less noise, 13 EV of dynamic range vs 11,5 EV at ISO 100, 7 fps vs 5 fps, 45 af points vs 9 af points, faster write speed to the SD card: 85 MB/s vs 21 MB/s.

I knew it has a better sensor but did not know about improved dynamic range. I also like the 45-point all cross-type AF system....Allowing me to shoot in low light levels is a plus for me, I have a birdbath and they come at dusk.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Peter
Authority
Authority

The sensor is better.  Less noise, 13 EV of dynamic range vs 11,5 EV at ISO 100, 7 fps vs 5 fps, 45 af points vs 9 af points, faster write speed to the SD card: 85 MB/s vs 21 MB/s.

@Peter wrote:

I knew it has a better sensor but did not know about improved dynamic range. I also like the 45-point all cross-type AF system....Allowing me to shoot in low light levels is a plus for me, I have a birdbath and they come at dusk.

ScottyP
Authority

Plus DPAF and AFMA. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is a 80D worth the upgrade?"

I would but I may not be the best to ask as I love cameras.  The more the better! Smiley Happy

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera is even a better idea. Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Is a 80D worth the upgrade?"

I would but I may not be the best to ask as I love cameras.  The more the better! Smiley Happy

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera is even a better idea. Smiley Very Happy

I love camers too, I have a Yashica TL Electro, a 635 TLR and a GSN Rangefinder. I bought a Nikon FM 10 because it's simple and I like old school of my first cameras. I have a Canon EOS Elan with 3 lenses and a 430 EZ speedlite. I'll take a look at the 7D on B&H to compare the two. thanks for the reply... 

diverhank
Authority

@BlairW wrote:

I own a 60D my only DSLR, I’m thinking about buying an 80D. my 60D would be a backup then. Is a 80D worth the upgrade? thanks, Blair

I'm a little late to the party but why not...Personally if you're about to upgrade, the 80D is a really good choice. I'd do it in a heart beat and I would choose this over the 7DII just for the sensor improvement and touchscreen alone.

1. Much improved sensor - the 80D sports a new sensor that has much better dynamic range (DR) with one extra stop of ISO performance, including the ability to push the darks/shadows from less than 2 stops to 5 stops - a huge improvement.  This makes the 80D way better than anything Canon has (except the 1DXII and 5DIV) in this department.

2. Auto Focus - The 80D has a huge improvement in this area.  It goes from 9 points (60D) to a whopping 49 points (all cross-type) so on paper, its AF performance should rival and in some cases beat the reknown 7DII.

3. It has touchscreen, which is a huge advantage for precise focusing, among other things, imho.

4. More megapixels - 24 vs 18...handy when you must crop your pictures

5. Wifi

6. Faster frame rate 6.7 fps versus 5.3

7. Dual pixel focus (full time video focus)

There are more but need I say more? 🙂

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@BlairW wrote:

I'm a little late to the party but why not...Personally if you're about to upgrade, the 80D is a really good choice. I'd do it in a heart beat and I would choose this over the 7DII just for the sensor improvement and touchscreen alone.

1. Much improved sensor - the 80D sports a new sensor that has much better dynamic range (DR) with one extra stop of ISO performance, including the ability to push the darks/shadows from less than 2 stops to 5 stops - a huge improvement.  This makes the 80D way better than anything Canon has (except the 1DXII and 5DIV) in this department.

2. Auto Focus - The 80D has a huge improvement in this area.  It goes from 9 points (60D) to a whopping 49 points (all cross-type) so on paper, its AF performance should rival and in some cases beat the reknown 7DII.

3. It has touchscreen, which is a huge advantage for precise focusing, among other things, imho.

4. More megapixels - 24 vs 18...handy when you must crop your pictures

5. Wifi

6. Faster frame rate 6.7 fps versus 5.3

7. Dual pixel focus (full time video focus)

There are more but need I say more? 🙂

No from what you've listed above is reason enough consider this camera. I like shooting wildlife and sometimes have to crop. thanks..

Much improved sensor - the 80D sports a new sensor that has much better dynamic range (DR) with one extra stop of ISO performance, including the ability to push the darks/shadows from less than 2 stops to 5 stops - a huge improvement.  This makes the 80D way better than anything Canon has (except the 1DXII and 5DIV) in this department.

Honestly, there has been way to much made about dynamic range in cameras in general. There is a testing company who's tests Canon didn't perform particularly well on. This wasn't because the Canon sensors didn't have similar dynamic range to other companies, it was because Canon's CR2 files were RAWer than other manufactures. So Canon tweaked their RAW files using the same techniques that other companies have always used, making their CR2 files less RAW so they perform better on the test. 

The 7D Mk II's sensor with older RAWer CR2 file has just as much usable dynamic range as the newer less RAW, CR2 file of the 80D. The difference is their are some very specific techniques you need to use with the older CR2 files, to emulate what gets baked into the newer CR2 file (and other companies RAW files too). 

The big difference between the 7D Mk II's sensor and the 80D's sensor, is the 80D scores better on the test. In real world (provided you know how to process the 7D Mk II) there is no difference. 

@TTMartin wrote:

Much improved sensor - the 80D sports a new sensor that has much better dynamic range (DR) with one extra stop of ISO performance, including the ability to push the darks/shadows from less than 2 stops to 5 stops - a huge improvement.  This makes the 80D way better than anything Canon has (except the 1DXII and 5DIV) in this department.

The big difference between the 7D Mk II's sensor and the 80D's sensor, is the 80D scores better on the test. In real world (provided you know how to process the 7D Mk II) there is no difference. 

You must be talking about the DxO tests....there I agree with you.  However, I am not sure I'd agree with you that there is no difference.  I've seen the samples...they do look a lot better in actual shadows push.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements