cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three f/2.8 sensitive AF points failed in my 5D mark ii

jjjstc
Contributor

I accidently pointed the camera to the sun and burned the AF. The three f/2.8 AF points fail in auto focusing, but the other 6 AF points can still work well.

What is the problem with those 3 AF points? Is there any part I can buy and change by myself? If sent to Canon for repair, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

JJ

25 REPLIES 25

Send it to Canon. They will make it like new.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

got it back from Canon. It looks like a new camera. Even the dust and bubbles inside the LCD screen are gone.

Smiley Happy

EB

That was money very well spent! 

I remember when RL Drake of Miamisburg OH was a major manufacturer of amateur radio gear and a lot of people would complain about the charges for factory service however when Drake serviced something it came back as good as new which wasn't the case with a lot of their competitors. 

You don't always get what you pay for but in my experience with Canon service you do and it is one of the many good reasons for staying with Canon. In the early 1980s I bought a camcorder from one of their competitors and it went back three times under warranty for the same issue before I finally got tired of the process and repaired it properly myself.  That experience reminded me of an old cartoon a friend from Russia showed me that appeared in Pravda not long after the Soviets launched Sputnik.  The comic was loosely titled "consumer Sputnik" and it showed a poor consumer constantly in orbit between his home and the TV repair shop because although the country could be the first to put a satellite into orbit it couldn't produce a reliable tv set for consumers 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Canon's CS is second to none.  It should be the model of all companies not just photography.  This is especially true and noticeable if you ever worked with the other big photographic manufacturers.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
"...the additional features of those more advanced cameras would contribute very much."

I agree in specs but they offer younger gear. In the case of a Mk IV perhaps even new gear.

——————-

EOS Ra makes much more sense, if you want to go new. But I agree with Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements