cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three f/2.8 sensitive AF points failed in my 5D mark ii

jjjstc
Contributor

I accidently pointed the camera to the sun and burned the AF. The three f/2.8 AF points fail in auto focusing, but the other 6 AF points can still work well.

What is the problem with those 3 AF points? Is there any part I can buy and change by myself? If sent to Canon for repair, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

JJ

25 REPLIES 25

" I know. It is already burned."

You can call Canon but I am pretty sure they won't repair a 5D2.  You can try big repair shops like Midwest Camera Repair.  If they have or can get parts, they will repair it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

called Canon, and they still repair 5D2

Fantastic!   Smiley Happy

EB

update:

Got email from Canon repair team. The AF sensor was melted, and the repair would cost $384. 

JJ

@jjjstc wrote:

update:

Got email from Canon repair team. The AF sensor was melted, and the repair would cost $384. 

JJ

What's the going rate for a used 5D2? $384 for one that's been checked out by Canon may not be that bad a deal.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"$384 for one that's been checked out by Canon may not be that bad a deal."

I agree but $384 might also be a good down payment on a better 5D Mk III, or perhaps a Mk IV.

EB

just paid $384 to Canon. That is the easiest way for me.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"$384 for one that's been checked out by Canon may not be that bad a deal."

I agree but $384 might also be a good down payment on a better 5D Mk III, or perhaps a Mk IV.

For the type of work the OP cited (capturing a transit of Mercury), it isn't clear that the additional features of those more advanced cameras would contribute very much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...the additional features of those more advanced cameras would contribute very much."

I agree in specs but they offer younger gear. In the case of a Mk IV perhaps even new gear.

EB

My photography is now on the astronomy part, using cooled mono CCD with different filters (jjjastronomy.com). Not much portrait or landscape shoot for me.

This 5D2 was a gift from my wife ten years ago, when I was a poor student in graduate school. I would like to keep it as long as I can.

Announcements