cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three f/2.8 sensitive AF points failed in my 5D mark ii

jjjstc
Contributor

I accidently pointed the camera to the sun and burned the AF. The three f/2.8 AF points fail in auto focusing, but the other 6 AF points can still work well.

What is the problem with those 3 AF points? Is there any part I can buy and change by myself? If sent to Canon for repair, how much will it cost?

Thanks,

JJ

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You burned out the phase detection autofocus chip in the mirror box. I have no idea how much it will cost.

5D2...  time for a new camera.  OP, I'm sure you learned a valuable lesson too. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" If sent to Canon for repair,..."

I doubt Canon will do anything as the 5D2 is beyond service life which is what your camera needs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I accidently pointed the camera to the sun ..."

How long was the "accidentally pointed" time?  DSLR's  have a mirror in the viewfinder, which covers up most of the sensitive equipment most of the time.  If you're looking at the Sun through your camera, you're really only damaging your eyes. When you take a photo you do expose all your camera's sensitive equipment to the Sun. A short glance at the Sun is unlikely to harm anything. Leaving your camera and lens, for that matter, pointed at the Sun for a long time can.

It also depends on what time of day and how intense the Sun is at that time.  Sunrises or Sunsets for instance.

This small dose of Sun does not hurt anything, so it depends of how much and how long.

_OS10824.jpg

EB

Except for autofocus where the chip is exposed through the partial silvering.

"Except for autofocus where the chip is exposed through the partial silvering."

There is no except. If you read my post, it specifies "how long" and "most of the sensitive equipment".  A short glance will not harm anything. 

EB

jjjstc
Contributor
I took the image of Mercury transit yesterday using my 5 inch telescope with a solar film covering the scope. My friend had a problem with his solar film, so I took mine onto his scope for testing. I covered my lens by a black jacket, but the jacket then fell off the ground. The scope was tracking the sun for at least ten minutes.

"The scope was tracking the sun for at least ten minutes."

Not good! Smiley Sad

EB

Yes, I know. It is already burned. I can use the 6 f/5.6 AF points, but they are slow and not as accurate as the center f/2.8 AF point.

Announcements