cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking of upgrading.. need advice..

Cannon88
Contributor

hello, i have a T2i i got for christmas about a year and 3 months ago, i am thinking of upgrading to a canon 5D mark II in a few months. i am in college for commerical photography and im also getting into doing wedding photography. i am curious cause i pretty much started when i got the camera and i notice a bunch of things and i love my sister's 5D mark III but i am not that experienced yet. i am taking my time and learning every day. but i want to know if that would be the best option for me so soon. i am going to invest in better lenses and i already have a flash 430 ex ll also a tripod. i dont know if i am jumping to fast into getting a better camera so quickly..

19 REPLIES 19

HI CANON 88

ITS NO PROBLEM, SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE  LOOKING TO START TAKING UP PHOTOGRAPHY AND MOVE UP TO A DLSR ASK ADVICE , WHY ME????

AND ALWAYS THE SAME ADVICE BUY A L SERIES LENS AND A BASIC ENTRY BODY, AS THEY SAY ITS ALL ABOUT LIGHT!!!

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

I would just add that not all "L" lenses will ALWAYS deliver the best performance. There are still some non-L lenses that performs as well, and sometimes even a bit better in some aspects.

The point is: get the camera you need, trying to avoid spending all your budget on it, and get the best lens you can according to your shooting needs or projects. Lenses don't usually loose value, cameras do.

The image quality may be almost the same (in some circunstances, of course) when using cameras with huge difference in price. But if you get the most expensive camera and put a bad lens on it, you'll never get good pictures. Optics are essential in almost all cases.

There are several factors to consider when choosing a lens to buy, but that's another story.

Cheers!

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you can swing it go for the 5D Mk III and 24-105mm f4 IS. If not the same with the 5D Mk II.

Don't bother with a flash especially if you get the Mk III. You may find you will never need it.

Flashes like filters are nearly a thing of the past!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Flashes like filters are nearly a thing of the past!"

Seriously?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Seriously, yes! I have almost pushed my 430 and 580 into just the fill light category. Key word here is "almost"!

Keep that in mind.

Now consider the 5D Mk III and the 1D x. It won't be long until flashes are totally unnecessary.

Just like filters.

EB

Try to replace polariser effect with post processing. So with high ISO, you photo will look just like ones from those iphone. But i'm glad if that day come. More clients for me and it will set me apart from the crowd.

But it's alright, no point of debate. If it works for you then keep up the good work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

You are missing the ..."Key word here is "almost"!"

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You are missing the ..."Key word here is "almost"!"

It's nowhere in the ballpark of 'almost'.  I think you're severly underestimating the flexibility and dimensions that flash brings to photography.  Maybe you don't look at much photography outside of landscape, in which case I can see where you're coming from, but saying that you can replace flash with just High ISO performance and post work just shows ignorance on the subject.

And the OP is free to take whichever advice he sees fit. I say leave the flash (430EX) and filters (except UV) in the store and buy more camera. Or at least save that money towards a better camera. You say go for the filters and flash. Pretty straight forward choice, I'd say.

My advice is 5D Mk III and 24-105mm f4 IS. And I maintain it will get "almost" every photo anyone would want.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And the OP is free to take whichever advice he sees fit. I say leave the flash (430EX) and filters (except UV) in the store and buy more camera. Or at least save that money towards a better camera. You say go for the filters and flash. Pretty straight forward choice, I'd say.

My advice is 5D Mk III and 24-105mm f4 IS. And I maintain it will get "almost" every photo anyone would want.

I'm not saying that at all, I was just trying to express to the OP not to believe everything you read on the internet, because in my opinion you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.   Seems the majority of people that visit these camera sites are obsessed with gear and having the latest.  And from what I've seen on flickr and whatnot, there are a lot of people with top of the line gear that are quite frankly terrible at using it.  Don't get me wrong, I don't care what people spend their money on, if it makes you happy to have the latest instead of learning how to use what you have, by all means, go for it.  But I feel bad for all the noobies that come here getting terrible advice to UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE everything they have from you gear heads.

For the record, he already has a flash, he says it quite clearly in his first post.  He also says that he got a t2i a little over a year ago, and that's the extent of his experience.  I'm going to further assume that all he has is the kit len(s).  So why the hell should he run out and by a top of the line setup like the 5d3?  Seriously?  Give me a break.  The camera is plenty fine to learn on.  He doesn't even say why he needs to upgrade, which makes me assume he's been online and seen one to many posts by people like you.  People should upgrade because their camera isn't giving them what they need, not because...  Oh!  Shiny!

OP: I recently upgraded to a 6D, after 7 years with my trusty 400D.  I've dragged that camera through close to 30 countries, and clicked over 100,000 frames.  I got some lenses, got some flashes, and expanded my knowledge. It's a hobby, but I learned enough to get some paid jobs doing weddings, portraiture, and architectural.  It's funny, despite Bigg's beliefs, it was my work with flash that got me most of that work.  That work paid for all the equipment I amassed over the years, and then some, so I figured I earned an upgrade.  Could I have had a bit more flexibility if I upgraded sooner?  Sure.  But it didn't stop me from realizing the images in my head onto my sensor.

If you're looking for opinions, here's mine:  Go get some new glass (assuming you just have a kit lens).  Get a decent fast prime.  Get a good all around zoom at constant 2.8.  Maybe treat yourself and get a specialty lens like the fantastic 100mm Macro or an ultrawide angle, and have some fun.  Yes, when you move up to weddings you'll need a better camera, but you'll need the glass too, and the experience.  No offense, but I'd be livid if I hired a photographer for my big day that shows up with a 5d3 kit and then find out he has all of a year and a half experience.  I'm sure some of the kids in your glass have top notch gear... it doesn't matter, show them what you can do with your T2i.

Announcements