cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the 6d original vs 5d mark IV in low light

Heera
Apprentice

I posted the other day about an upgrade from my original 6d because of the poor AF system and most people seem to recommend the 5D iv over the R (as of right now). What I have loved about the 6D the last 4 years has been the incredible low light photos I've been able to take at ISO's that are relatively low. How does the 5D iv compare to the original 6D as far as low light photos go?

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You can do a lot with noise in post however here is a handy site that lets you compare the base noise and color performance at various ISO settings:  [link removed per forum guidelines]

You can change to various sensor speeds to see how the two stack up across the range.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Herra,
I read reviews for a month before buying a 6D2 over the 5D4. Realize you are comparing the 6D.

In the end, I found the DR of the 2 cameras to be similar, with the 5D4 coming out slightly better overall, but not enough to justify its cost (at the time) at least for me. I also wanted an articulating screen.

The 5D4's feature set as a whole is what trumps the 6D and modestly the 6D2's DR, but that coupled will all of the other things it does better over a 6D (4K, dulal pixel AF, 8k shutter, etc) is what makes it stand above the rest.

Your skill level is also a deciding factor. I'm living proof you can do good things with a 6D2, but I've got just as many failures (LoL).

The 6D , 6D2 and 5D4 are all great bodies in my opinion.  Pricepoint, the type of photograper you are, and how you will use the camera all matters.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" How does the 5D iv compare to the original 6D as far as low light photos go?"

The big main difference between the two is, one is an entry level beginner into FF camera and the other is a more full on pro level camera.  This also includes the build of each.  That is where you need to make your decision.  Either in real world shooting is not going to top the other much.  I would hope the Mk IV is better since it costs more but like I said there is more to the comparison than IQ or high ISO capability. Actually there isn't a great big difference in price right now. I have seen Mk IV's in the $2100+ and 6D2 in the $1500/1600 range.  I would go 5D Mk IV every time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements