cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommended model for tethered shooting.

numbers
Contributor

Must be able to live view. price under $1000, Prefer under $500 

coins primary subject.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@numbers wrote:

As such, I'd like to use digital photography to take clear, sharp pictures of my coins to document my collection and share with other collectors for trading purposes.

Based I what I've gathered so far, I'm considering purchasing a SL1 body, AC adapter kit, &  EF 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens.

You don't need anything fancy to get accurate images of coins, just a bit of time getting it set properly.  Any camera back to the 450D has live view, though you don't even need LV for this.  Furthermore, any camera back to 450D (and a couple models before) have more than enough resolution for this need.  Unless you plan and getting into photography as a hobby, I'd look at getting a refurbish Rebel camera (450D, 500D, 550D, 600D...) directly from Canon.  You could save quite a bit of money.  I'd even try to pick up the 100mm macro from them if you can get it.  All come with warranties.

Here's the camera bodies:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#

Looks like most of the Rebels come in a kit, and you don't need a kit.  Though they have a refurbished SLR for $500.  If you hold out you could get a T3i for $400.  Likewise, you can get the 100mm for under $500, but they're tough to find.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

numbers
Contributor

Clarification of objective: While photography was once a primary hobby (film age, Minolta SRT201, X700), Wood working & coin collecting are my primary hobbies today.  As such, I'd like to use digital photography to take clear, sharp pictures of my coins to document my collection and share with other collectors for trading purposes. Presently using Canon Power Shot SD870IS and struggling to get the lighting and camera settings adjusted for a good image. I take a few shots with one set of varibles, then I have to dismount the camera from the copy stand to get at the memory card (and/or battery), mind you at this cameras focal length the lights may be in the way too. Then view the images on the computer, adjust varibles, remount, reposition lighting, shoot, dismount, etc.  So when I learned of tethered shooting...  being able to view image, adjust settings, and capture shot from computer seemed a must have. Then I learned I couldn't do it with my existing equipment and software was required since the Canon products included software, I came here for recommendations.

Based I what I've gathered so far, I'm considering purchasing a SL1 body, AC adapter kit, &  EF 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens. The longer focal length will allow greater flexibility for positioning lighting ...coins have a very reflective surface. So I'm looking at an investment of $1200 before taxes or additional software. That's 1 or 2 higher grade coins or a lot of lesser grade coins for the conveince. But combines 3 fun hobbies, coin, photo, computers. Now to build a cabinet for all of it.

@numbers wrote:

As such, I'd like to use digital photography to take clear, sharp pictures of my coins to document my collection and share with other collectors for trading purposes.

Based I what I've gathered so far, I'm considering purchasing a SL1 body, AC adapter kit, &  EF 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens.

You don't need anything fancy to get accurate images of coins, just a bit of time getting it set properly.  Any camera back to the 450D has live view, though you don't even need LV for this.  Furthermore, any camera back to 450D (and a couple models before) have more than enough resolution for this need.  Unless you plan and getting into photography as a hobby, I'd look at getting a refurbish Rebel camera (450D, 500D, 550D, 600D...) directly from Canon.  You could save quite a bit of money.  I'd even try to pick up the 100mm macro from them if you can get it.  All come with warranties.

Here's the camera bodies:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#

Looks like most of the Rebels come in a kit, and you don't need a kit.  Though they have a refurbished SLR for $500.  If you hold out you could get a T3i for $400.  Likewise, you can get the 100mm for under $500, but they're tough to find.

Sorry for the delay in responding. It was a very busy week at the office. Now that's a very helpful recommendation.  I was unable to find any 450s on Canon's refurbish listings, but did purchase a used 450 body from Ebay for $150 + shipping . It should arrive today.  I also ordered an AC adapter kit and Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 Pro D Macro Lens new (arrived yesterday!?!) for $437. So except for the suggested sftwr I got everything for just under $600. Perfect numbers!

Can't wait to start playing. I'll start using the Canon sftwr first to see what it has to offer.

Thanks again

Announcements