cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ready for a new camera

okiebirdnerd
Contributor

Hi,

I’ve been using the T3i with an EF 100-400 lens for about four years now. I’ve gotten a lot of good service out of it without any problems. I mainly photograph birds but never been happy with my BIF shots in comparison to friends that own the 7D & EF 100-400 lens. What I’ve mainly noticed on my shots is the whole bird is never 100% in focus. And when standing next to friends with the 7D, they are able to get the whole bird in focus. I have tried multiple setting over the years and the only thing I can come up with is the 7D has 19 focusing points and is able to have all the BIF in focus.( or is there another setting the 7D has I’m unaware of? ) I would love to be able to use a 7D but I have lost my grip and can’t even carry my puny T3I around as long I use to. I have noticed that after a few hours I’m starting to quiver and it is noticeable in my photos. Canon announced the new EOS 750 & EOS 760. Both sound like they might be my answer since they have 19 focusing points like the 7D instead of the 9 like my T3I. Camera weight is the main factor in deciding on a new camera along with using my EF 100-400 lens.

I would really appreciate any camera suggestions and your feelings about the new 750D or 760D. When might these cameras become available for purchase? I’m sure I’ll want to wait until I can hear the good the bad and the ugly before buying. Thanks in advance for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am going to offer another suggestion.  Buy the Rebel T6s and rent the EF 400mm f5.6 L for a week. LensRentals <--- click here.     That will tell you if you will truly miss the IS feature.  I am sure the lighter weight is going to help you, in your situation, more than IS does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

That is a great idea! I'll see about renting the EF400.Of course I could always check it out with my t3i while I'm waiting for the T6s to become available. I see that the ef400 is 2.8 pounds and the 100-400 is 3.1 pound. Not much weight difference especially with the EF 400 costing 1,300 bucks.
I'm not sure when Canon will start shipping the T6s but I'll probably wait a few months for the new to wear off. Thanks for your input.

Yes I know a half pound does not sound like a lot.  But it does matter where the 1/2 pound is.  And how long you have to hold it up.  If you rent one and it doesn't do it for you, you are only out $50 bucks or so and you move on.  But if it is a go and you love it, you can think about buying one.

A great thought, go ahead and rent it now.  It just may make all the difference and you find your T3i isn't as challenegd as you thought.  Spring is coming and so are the birds!

As a side note. I have been shooting egales and I use my 1D Mk IV and the big Tamron 150-600mm.  That rig tips the scale at 12+ pounds.  Talk about heavy!  That is heavy.  Makes a monopod or tripod a necessary accessory.1D4_6626.jpg

I happen to have this photo handy as it was bought by a art school here.  They use photos like this one to paint oil paints on top of it.  I don't know how or even why but they do.  I think they project it somehow.

EB

If you're looking for opinions, here's mine. 

I've had the T3i for just over 1 year, (26,000 shots) - and I've ordered a T6s.  Two focus situations are the main reasons.  One is the low-light AF speed/accuracy and AF-tracking, the second is the 19 AF points and the ability to use AF "groups".

My main lens is the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.  I love it.  I was really ready to spend the $709 to purchase the  Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens  so I did rent one from BorrowLenses and took over 200 shots at my grandson's outside, sunny-sky, football game, using both lenses.  I wanted the "L" lens to be better. 

In my opinion, it was NOT better, and noting that it lacked IS, was only 200mm max, and it was/is a lot HEAVIER - I took it back. 

Here's a shot from about 150' with my 55-250.

T3i_11668-1.JPG

AI Servo.  Not the best - keeping that center AF point on the bird ain't easy - I'm expecting a "group" of AF points, plus the 760's inherited 70d focus system to be much better.

I think of it this way:  If the lens will produce a tack-sharp image of a non-moving object:

T3i_11924-Hawk.JPG

... then it's the camera or the user that is failing.  Don't get me wrong, the T3i is a great camera and I can't expect the sharpness/quality of a $3,000 body and $12,000 lens.  I was saving my pennies to graduate to the 7d MKII.  For about $1,000 less, I'm expecting the AF ability of the 760d to be almost as good.

PJ

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

"...  to purchase the  Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens  so I did rent one from BorrowLenses ..."

"... In my opinion, it was NOT better ..."

Of course this is an opinion, yours and mine, but your samples tell the story!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  to purchase the  Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens  so I did rent one from BorrowLenses ..."

"... In my opinion, it was NOT better ..."

Of course this is an opinion, yours and mine, but your samples tell the story!

What his first sample picture tells is that the artistic value of motion blur can hardly be understated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the kind words.  Smiley Happy

For no particular reason other than I just love this shot, here's one of my grandson at a school gym in Maynard.  This is also shot with the 55-250 and an EX-600 on-camera flash:

T3i_25296-Will.jpg

PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"

@PajamaGuy wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.  Smiley Happy

For no particular reason other than I just love this shot, here's one of my grandson at a school gym in Maynard.  This is also shot with the 55-250 and an EX-600 on-camera flash:

T3i_25296-Will.jpg

Very nice.

Maynard, eh? Are you a member of the MetroWest Photography Collaborative?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am sorry as I was not complimenting but I learned a long time ago beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I will bow out.

EB

"MetroWest Photography Collaborative" - nope.  But I'm in Hudson - and I'm reading their website now - Thanks!

PJ
(Grampy)

Announcements