cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Recording... Remaining images" communication problem on 5D MK IV

WimVanCraen
Contributor

I've searched for the same issue, found those 2:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Camera-locks-up-recording-message/m-p/159070/highlight/...

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Turning-off-camera-SD-Card-Access-Lamp-Recording/m-p/271245/h...

Which are simular to my problem, but mine is still another case.

So, situation:

• Have 5D Mark IV installed
  • Without mermory card
  • But with it's USB 3.0 cable connected
  • To a Win10 Dell Optiplex
  • On a SuperSpeed USB port directly on the motherboard
  • Taking several pictures after each other. This as:
    • F.e. 5 image in a row
    • Next 5 images 10-15s later

But sometimes I see that the communication is lost. Sometimes it restores itself, but even then I have to redo my image sequence again. Sometimes it won't work anymore.
What could help is repower the camera. But when I turn off the Canon, the "Recording... Remaining images" messages appears:

20191120_154347.jpg

It's not useful to wait until the message is gone. The only thing that works, is to remove the USB cable from the camera. The message will disappear and the camera will be turned off.

After this, I can communicate again with my camera.

Any idea what can cause this issue? And how I can solved it? Nothing that I just use the USB cable and not memory card.

If not clear, please ask 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shadowsports

Was also my idea. I've installed now a PCIe USB 3.0 board, as well as a power USB 3.0 extention cable of 5m.

I will see the results soon

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greeings,

So many factors here that might come into play.

What I think.

Buffering or transfer speed of the connection.  First few pictures transfer , then the buffer fills and the images cannot be transferred fast enough to the storage source.  The connection drops, fails and/or resets.

The camera only has so much buffer, I don't know what this is off the top of my head, but might you be exceeding the capacity with the transfer being unable to keep up with the flow of data?  I don't use my camera like this, but believe this might be related to your issue.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports

Was also my idea. I've installed now a PCIe USB 3.0 board, as well as a power USB 3.0 extention cable of 5m.

@WimVanCraen wrote:

@shadowsports

@waddizzle 

I use a tool wrapped around the canon dlls using the SDK commands.

I am not going to be able to help you when it comes to custom software.  Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Seems like the hardware adaptation is fixing the issue for now. No communication problems occurred anymore

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
What application is running the tether on the PC?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle

I use a tool wrapped around the canon dlls using the SDK commands.

Announcements