cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with 5d mk. 4 AF point select

dare2imagine
Contributor

hey guys,

I can't seem to get the AF manual point selection to work, I also can not get the AF point display to work either.

recently purchased 5d Firmware is up to date.

When I select a focus point that's not dead center it still AF in the center.

Also, I have the Display focus point enabled but no focus points are displayed while viewing the images on the camera!!

Any help or suggestions would be lovely!

- best regards

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok i finally found what it was.

It was "distortion correction = ON" that was the problem.

Seems you can enable all corrections and still have manual Focus point w/ Focus point display and focus point zoom 

it will also work if you enable "Digital Lens Correction" but the Slow down of shooting is ridiculous

However, if you enable  "distortion Correction" it will center focus no matter what and never display where your focus point is.

Interesting.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How much have you played around with the settings.  The default behavior out of the box displays AF points, begins with the center point, and can track to surrounding points.  So, try resetting the camera back to “Factory Defaults”.

Depending upon what settings you have changed, you may need to reset custom settings, and a couple of other items.  All of the reset menus are identified in the FULL instruction manual, which is only available as a PDF download from Canon Support.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

How much have you played around with the settings.  The default behavior out of the box displays AF points, begins with the center point, and can track to surrounding points.  So, try resetting the camera back to “Factory Defaults”.

Depending upon what settings you have changed, you may need to reset custom settings, and a couple of other items.  All of the reset menus are identified in the FULL instruction manual, which is only available as a PDF download from Canon Support.  

Thanks for the reply,

I have fine-tuned this camera to my liking over the past 4 months, I can't imagine there is a global Setting that is overriding my manual Selected Focus Point.  I shoot in m/av/tv only, I have tried everything I can think of and followed all manuals and instructional videos to the letter.  

So thanks for the idea, but I came here to avoid resetting the camera to Factory.  

right now I'm in AV mode - using spot focus / Single square / 4 point expansion moving them in any to the far right/left/up/down (i don't really use any of the "zone" modes) but yet its still focusing on the middle.

I may be completely brain fried at this point, but if I use spot focus all the way to the farthest selectable focus point to the left, take pictures, then hit zoom it should zoom in on the focus point correct? 

Also With the show focus points in view mode, no matter what Focus type i use even all the "Zone" modes there are no indicators where the focus point is/was.

I Dunno... anyone else with any idea's? I'll try anything before factory resetting

"I'll try anything before factory resetting"

You will eventually do this, so go ahead and do it now.  Makes sure you clear all custom settings as well.  You have set something either on purpose or by accident that needs to be corrected.  At any rate you need to be at square one to eliminate an actual problem with the camera.  If you call Canon support for help they will ask you do it anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

...right now I'm in AV mode - using spot focus / Single square / 4 point expansion moving them in any to the far right/left/up/down (i don't really use any of the "zone" modes) but yet its still focusing on the middle.

I may be completely brain fried at this point, but if I use spot focus all the way to the farthest selectable focus point to the left, take pictures, then hit zoom it should zoom in on the focus point correct? 

Also With the show focus points in view mode, no matter what Focus type i use even all the "Zone" modes there are no indicators where the focus point is/was.

I Dunno... anyone else with any idea's? I'll try anything before factory resetting...

Spot Focus is Single Point, just smaller. It's not possible to use at the same time as Expansion, if that's what you are tryihng to do.

Review the section beginning on page 109 of the manual. You have the following focus patterns:

1. Single-Point Spot AF.... You manually select what single AF point will be used to focus and that point will be smaller and more precise than usual. This may be a little slower focusing than standard Single-Point.

2. Single Point AF ... You manually select the one standard size AF point that will be used to focus.

3. AF Point Expansion (4-point).... You manually select a single standard size AF point which will be used as a starting point, but the camera is allowed to switch to the 4 adjacent points (above, below, right and left) of that starting point, if needed while tracking a subject.

4. AF Point Expansion - Surrounding (8-point)... Same as #3, except all 8 points surrounding the starting point are enabled (adds the points located diagonally).

5. Zone AF... A group of up to 12 AF points are activated, any of which can start and run focusing. You can manually select the zone, but the action of the AF within that zone is automated.

6. Large Zone AF... same as #5, up to 21 points are activated. Basically, this divides the AF point array into thirds and lets you choose which should be used for automated selection within the left, center and right zone.

7. All Points AF.... Fully automated, allows the camera to select and use any AF point in the array. It will usually choose whatever is closest, that's covered by a point. It also might respond to movement.

Note: In the Zone and Expansion modes, the number of AF points can be reduced if the user selects a starting point or zone at the very edge of the AF point array.

Camera can be set to have a Registered AF Point or "home position".... usually the center point in the array, though it's up to you. I think on 5DIV when this is set up and enabled, you use either the AF On of the * (AE Lock) button to preform this function. If you've inadvertently set it up, then are using the AF On button thinking you are starting autofocus, but are actually causing the AF to "return to home position". See page 500 in your manual. (Not sure about 5DIV, but some other cameras with the joystick used to select AF points, it's possible to "click" the joystick to "return to home position". This is easy to do accidentally while operating the joystick.)

If you are looking for the point of focus in Image Review mode, after you've taken the shot, I think the image on your LCD screen needs to be unenlarged, can't be zoomed in at all. Try backing off the magnification. (Camera might be set up to go right to a slightly enlarged image review).

And, no, AFAIK using the zoom function does not cause the playback to center on the active AF point(s). It will simply magnify  the image from the last position. You can use the joystick or dials to navigate around the magnified image.

Once downloaded, you should be able to see the active AF point(s) in Canon software (but not in 3rd party software like Lightroom, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

its all good, I dont know what setting it was (maybe all the enable lens corrections) ? 

but now without a reset, single point, point, and my 4 star expanded all work properly.  Now if i move any of my focus points, the camera focuses only where i want it, and it Auto Zooms onto the Focus point, when reviewing images after taking in the camera! = perfection.

Also when viewing images on the camera (non Zoom) it displays the focus point! 

"love that warm and tingly feeling, when everything falls into place!" 

I appreciate the help guys!

---Stuffs---

Canon 1dx mk 2 / 5d mk 4 / 80d

24mm f/1.4L ii USM

50mm f/1.2L USM

85mm f/1.4L IS USM

100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

16-35mm f/2.8L iii USM

24-70mm f/2.8L ii USM

70-200mm f/2.8L IS iii USM

70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii USM

Sometimes it is just better to be lucky than good.  Smiley Wink

EB

hahah true,

it was either the lens corrections or the fact i was capturing raw to the CF card and jpg to the SD card as those are the only settings I changed

all lens corrections = off

changed it from raw(cf) jpg(SD) to raw(cf) raw(SD) - for redundancy

I'll take dumb luck when I can have it 😃

Ohh yeah and i reset my Custom menu (not the c1-c3) but that was just for quick access to AF Functions

It's a mystery!

---Stuffs---

Canon 1dx mk 2 / 5d mk 4 / 80d

24mm f/1.4L ii USM

50mm f/1.2L USM

85mm f/1.4L IS USM

100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

16-35mm f/2.8L iii USM

24-70mm f/2.8L ii USM

70-200mm f/2.8L IS iii USM

70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii USM

"It's a mystery!"

Sometimes.........................Smiley Happy

EB

ok i finally found what it was.

It was "distortion correction = ON" that was the problem.

Seems you can enable all corrections and still have manual Focus point w/ Focus point display and focus point zoom 

it will also work if you enable "Digital Lens Correction" but the Slow down of shooting is ridiculous

However, if you enable  "distortion Correction" it will center focus no matter what and never display where your focus point is.

Interesting.

Announcements