Did you mean: 

problems banding with EOS 5D mk IV

pballaz
Contributor

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Post a picture and tell us your settings, especially file size.

Is this on the LCD or in the file?

Photo for Canon Forum, Vincent Thomas Bridge.jpgPhoto for Canon Forum, Vincent Thomas Bridge.jpg

This photo was shot in RAW and it is straight out of the camera.

@pballaz wrote:

Photo for Canon Forum, Vincent Thomas Bridge.jpgPhoto for Canon Forum, Vincent Thomas Bridge.jpg

That is posturization not banding.

Posturization occurs when there is not sufficient bit depth to provide a gradual transition in subtle color changes. 

What software did you use to convert the RAW file?

I am using lightroom.  When it is in Library you can see it.  When it goes into develop I really don't see it.  When I export it into Photoshop or anywhere else you can see it.

@pballaz wrote:

I am using lightroom.

You said that was with the default LR settings is that correct?

Check the File Settings on the export screen make sure it is set Quality 100 and the Color Space is sRGB.

lr export.JPG

That is how I have it set up.  I am using lightroom.  When it is in Library you can see it.  When it goes into develop I really don't see it.  When I export it into Photoshop or anywhere else you can see it.

Posterization, sometimes called banding, can be explained by too little information spread too far apart.  Have you done all the latest upgrades to LR and PS?  One thing you must not do if this posterization shows up is hike up the 'clarity' slider.  This makes it worse. Increasing the 'grain' will reduce posterization.

You can also try to increase the color space to AdobeRGB.  Some say that doesn't help but it does. Some shots benefit from it some shots don't.  The color space in what you see is increased even though the color space outside the ability of your monitor is wasted.

Look at your histogram.  It will indicate posterization especially in a processed jpg.  The histogram is an invaluable tool.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon Forum Export Settings.jpeg

@TTMartin wrote:

@pballaz wrote:

I am using lightroom.

You said that was with the default LR settings is that correct?

Check the File Settings on the export screen make sure it is set Quality 100 and the Color Space is sRGB.

lr export.JPG

This is my export setting.

Announcements