cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with new(ish) 80D and 400mm

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

I bought a new outfit in May, including an 80D, a 1.4TC, and 400mm II.   I have been using it quite a bit, and never saw any problems until the other day.

I turned it on, and was trying to set the ISO and nothing was happening.  Same for trying to set the drive, etc.   When I looked through the viewfinder, it was black.    I could not for the life of me think of what was going on.

In trying to debug it, I did notice one thing.   When I re-seated the entire lens + TC at the body interface, everything started working.

I need to do more testing to see if this happens again, but I wanted to ask if anyone ever heard of such behavior, and what it might mean.

Thanks,

Mitch

11 REPLIES 11

@mitchmcc wrote:

I bought a new outfit in May, including an 80D, a 1.4TC, and 400mm II.   I have been using it quite a bit, and never saw any problems until the other day.

I turned it on, and was trying to set the ISO and nothing was happening.  Same for trying to set the drive, etc.   When I looked through the viewfinder, it was black.    I could not for the life of me think of what was going on.

In trying to debug it, I did notice one thing.   When I re-seated the entire lens + TC at the body interface, everything started working.

I need to do more testing to see if this happens again, but I wanted to ask if anyone ever heard of such behavior, and what it might mean.

Thanks,

Mitch

The obvious explanation (which isn't necessarily the correct one) is that the lens wasn't properly seated in the mount. There's probably nothing you can do unless/until it happens again.

You always need to be sure that a lens is properly seated. If it isn't, it can fall off when you try to zoom or focus.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Agreed, but in my case, the lens was already mounted and I do not think it could have been dislodged. I will keep this in mind, however. Thanks!

What exactly did you buy? An 80D along with a 1.4 tel-con and 400mm lens is an odd combo unless you have a specific goal in mind. Is all the gear real Canon and is it from areal Canon USA dealer?

The 80D should turn on with or without a lens attached.

If the lens and tel-con is third party it can be the cause.  If so, stop using them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's all real Canon... I do use the TC with this outfit, and do get autofocus up to f8.

I seem to recall something about needing to install TC on lens first and then installing on camera. Not sure where, and not sure if this is your problem. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I seem to recall something about needing to install TC on lens first and then installing on camera. Not sure where, and not sure if this is your problem. 

That does make some sense. If the camera can't identify the lens on its first try (which would presumably be the case with a freestanding TC), it might not know how or when to try again. I would not, however, expect that effect if the camera were turned off while the TC and lens were being installed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I seem to remember that the manual suggests you turn off the camera when changing lenses.  I have changed lenses in as many ways as is possible over the years and none seem to make any difference. I am not sure when the camera decide what lens is mounted. It may be as it shoots each shot and I believe that is true.

At any rate the camera will work whether it has a lens on it or not. Turn on, I mean.  Smiley Happy It sounds like a full reset of the camera is next. Menu, Tools, clear all settings, etc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I turned it on, and was trying to set the ISO and nothing was happening.  Same for trying to set the drive, etc.   When I looked through the viewfinder, it was black."

I missed that the first time.  Sounds like something may have actuated mirror lockup or Live View (assuming lens cap was off lens Smiley Happy)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

>>>>>Sounds like something may have actuated mirror lockup or Live View (assuming lens cap was off lens 

I will also look at that... I was wondering whether I might have accidentally hit some other button.  Thanks!

Announcements