cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-Canon battery grip for EOS 70D (possible problem)

Edin
Apprentice

Hi,

i have EOS 70D (latest firmware 1.1.2) and i just bought non-Canon battery grip (Andoer manufacturer) .

I know, its not Canon, but USD40 at my door instead USD170 BHphotovideo + shipping + custom taxes is good reason to buy it.

What happens... Every time when I turn on the camera with grip installed, there are 5 unwanted shots. After that, everything works great. Is it a problem, or need some adjustment in camera settings?
Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cleaning the contact won't solve the problem. Eventually, the grip will short the circuit of your camera and it's not worth of risk.

Dump it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lly3988
Rising Star

The grip is defective. Contact the seller for a replacement or refund.

Seem, problem is dirty contact place in the battery hole in the body. When I release a little the grip and bit rotate it left-right, the problem disappears. What can I clean my contacts with? Alcohol 70% and cotton sticks?

Regards

@Edinwrote:

Seem, problem is dirty contact place in the battery hole in the body. When I release a little the grip and bit rotate it left-right, the problem disappears. What can I clean my contacts with? Alcohol 70% and cotton sticks?

Regards

It sounds less like dirty contacts than a dodgy connection of some wire within the grip. If it is the contacts, it's likely that the position of one or more of those on the grip is slightly out of tolerance when the grip is locked in place.

If you buy a piece of junk, it's likely to behave like a piece of junk. You get what you pay for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Cleaning the contact won't solve the problem. Eventually, the grip will short the circuit of your camera and it's not worth of risk.

Dump it.

Agree! I will send it back to the seller and find a genuine grip...

Thx all guys

Vello makes pretty good grips for Canon bodies.

Assuming the battery grip is halfway reliable, the most common different between Canon and third party grips is the feel and texture of the finish, AND, the feel and arrangement of buttons on the grip.  

For the most part, Canon grips feel nearly identical to the conventional grip.  Third party manufacturers probably cannot duplicate the exact contours of a Canon for copyright reasons.

Another factor to consider when buying third party grips is weather sealing.  A bargain basement priced grip is probably not sealed against dust and moisture as a Canon grip.  I have used Canon and Vello grips on a 7D2.  The Vello functions as well as the Canon grip, but it has a slightly different feel.  It seems to not be as well sealed against dust and moisture as the Canon grip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements