cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise triggers

michaelfahey
Apprentice

I'm trying to video noisy cars, trucks and motorcycles on my street and need an inexpensive system which will work with a point and shoot camera. Canon M10.  Cannot be motion sensitive, noise only.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I assume you googled?

I imagine you will have to get an arduino or launchpad and build your own.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

"Noise triggers"?

Google > MIOPS Camera Trigger.

As far as using it with your M10, highly doubtful

Camera option

You can use the camera to capture video and use the sound track and not the video.  Then you don't need to buy anything.  

Maybe you just need a recording device you can activate when a noisy [vehicle] passes.  Voice Memo feature on a cell phone might work too.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Lotus7
Rising Star

Unfortunately, the M-10 is probably the worst possible choice for triggered video recording.  It has no physical shutter/video control jack and no IR trigger either.  It does have Phone App shutter triggering via Wi-Fi, but not video control. 

With any camera with a remote control jack it's easy:  The Eneabling Devices Sound Activated Switch No. 1021 is battery powered, has a built-in microphone, adjustible sensitivity and an adjustible on-time before resetting range of up to120 seconds.  Used with a camera having a remote jack it would only take wiring up a simple cable.

Someone with excellent mechnical and electronic construction skills, design experience and a few days of spare time could theroretically construct a solinoid or servo-motor video button actuator for a M-10 that was controlled by a sound activated switch, but it would probably be simpler and less expensive to purchase a different video camera.

P.S.  To some of us the sound of a loud, straight-through open exhaust is music to our ears. 🙂

Announcements