cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need suggestions for cleaning canon 5d mark ii sensor. just joined forum and don't know way around

ptuner2
Apprentice

I just bought a used canon 5d mark ii. The sensor needs cleaning.  Do I need to order a kit for that or send it to canon services?  Also need the shutter count, but usb port has a problem.  Haven't been able to find that info using exiftool, irfanview64 or others.  I am doubting that the count info can really be found on jpg pics using those programs.  

I did find out that cannon offers a service to clean sensor and find shutter count, etc for $129.  I may do that.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

@ptuner2 wrote:

I just bought a used canon 5d mark ii. The sensor needs cleaning.  Do I need to order a kit for that or send it to canon services?  Also need the shutter count, but usb port has a problem.  Haven't been able to find that info using exiftool, irfanview64 or others.  I am doubting that the count info can really be found on jpg pics using those programs.  

I did find out that cannon offers a service to clean sensor and find shutter count, etc for $129.  I may do that.

Thanks

Yes, do it. What you've said so far suggests that you're not experienced enough to be attempting to clean the sensor. Sensor cleaning is an aquired art, and the consequences of doing it wrong can be expensive. If that cleaning package is the one Canon provides for CPS members, your camera will come back looking like new.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob.  I found some good answers and you are correct about experience in cleaning sensors.  I guy at the pawn shop where I purchased it suggested using windex and some paper towels.  Actually he was kidding.

Look up Eyelead sensor gel stick.   Super easy. No way to screw up, like with wet clean methods. Start with air from a rocket blower squeeze bulb.  Helps a lot to have a sensor loupe to see with, though a magnifying glass and a flashlight holding buddy  works too. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ptuner2
Apprentice

Never mind my questions. I found some answers on various messages.

Announcements