cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a body for 100-400ii + 1.4TCiii. 7dmk2 or 80d or wait? Bird photography

bobbob2
Contributor

Hi.

I've been using the 70d with the 100-400ii+1.4tciii for bird photography for some time now and I'm ready to move to a new body. The 70d is great for what it is but it does not AF at f8. I've been shooting manual for almost a year, with some excellent results, but without a prism in the viewfinder, getting perfect focus is a question of luck more than skill, especially with subjects as unforgiving as birds. There is a certain comfort in knowing that any focus issues are entirely my own fault rather than gear related, but I'm ready to move on.

The 7dmk2 seems to ideal candidate for a new body but the 80d seems a worthy competitor, especially at f8. It's also cheaper but that's not the determining factor. I've been reading up on the subject and it seems that on paper the 7d2 is better for my purposes. However, I would really appreciate some input from people who have compared both bodies with the mentioned lens setup for birds.

There is a thread going over this question over at Fredmiranda but I'm not sure what to make of it. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1488551/0

Additionally, rumours of the 7dmk3 and 90d coming out are holding me back. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the 2019 releases? Should I wait? It would be at least another year until the release, get stock delivered and fix teething problems, if any, of the new models.

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 7D2 has more magnesium alloy in its’ body chassis than the 80D, but both are sealed against dust and moisture. 

The combination of the lens and extender will cause the 7D2 to be reduced to just one f/8 focus point.  The AF will become noticeably slower and a little sluggish, too.  I have never used the 80D with that combo, but I have used the 6D2 with it, which shares the same AF system with the 80D.

The 6D2 will have 27 f/8 AF points, arranged in three rows of 9 points.  There is no noticeable degradation in AF speed when you enable all of the AF points.  I would be surprised if the 80D did not have similar performance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@bobbob2 wrote:

Yes, I do.    I used to have an 80D before I gave it my son, but never used the 100-400mm and TC on it.  I use the 100-400mm far more than the 150-600mm.  Which body I decide to use depends upon available light, and whether or not I might use the TC.

The 7D2 is a good match for the 100-400, but just not with the TC because it slows down the AF so much.  The 6D2 does not seem to slow down much with the 100-400 w/1.4x, at all.  I like to set Focus Priority to full Focus, which probably slows up the AF more than anything else.  The only reason why I might carry the 1.4x III TC is when I want to carry two bodies on a hike.  

I will put the 70-200 on the full frame 6D2, and the 100-400 on the crop sensor 7D2.  Those combos fit inside of my bag with both lenses still mounted, with or without the TC.  The cameras stand up with hoods reversed in a Lowepro Magnum 200 AW.  My Lowepro Magnum 400AW can also fit a 150-600 standing up, but just not with a camera mounted.

I switch up using a Sigma 150-600 “C” with the 6D2, and the Canoon 100-400 II with the 7D2.  I think I may get a higher keeper with the 7D2 and the 100-400mm, than the 150-600 with the 6D2.  But, the higher keeper rate may be due to the slightly higher frame rate in the 7D2, and the faster focusing speed of the 100-400. 

Between the 80D and 7D2, 7D2 is probably the better choice without the TC. The 7D2 will have an unfamiliar rear panel control layout.  The 80D is nearly identical to the 70D.  If you want to use the TC, then the 80D is probably the better choice.  

I like the full frame 6D2 because it allows me use higher ISO values with faster shutter speeds or in low light situations.  On cloudy days, indoor gyms, or Friday Night Lights, the 7D2 stays home. The 6D Series has the same layout as the #0D series.

When I crop the images, I think the IQ from the 100-400mm + TC is slightly better than the 150-600.  But, using that lens combo means taking a one stop hit in exposure, compared to using the 150-600.  The 7D2 is very good at capturing BIF.  It is probably your best all around choice, but you will be disappointed with the performance with the TC, especially if you are like me and like to use Zone AF with AI Servo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

govindvkumar
Apprentice

I recommend you to wait for some time as canon would be releasing their much rumoured Canon 7D MArk iii body in the first quarter of 2019. I expect it to have better iso performance an faster auto focsing capabilities when copmared to the mark 2 version

Nature and Wildlife Photographer, who loves to travel a lot. I share my photography tips , post-processing tips, camera and equipment reviews through my website Photography Axis
Announcements