cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my EOS 70D don't shoot

violetas
Apprentice

My EOS 70 D won't take pictures at all. When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through. It always says busy. I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash.

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@violetas wrote:

My EOS 70 D won't take pictures at all. When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through. It always says busy. I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash.

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings. 

In One Shot focus mode the camera needs to obtain focus before it can take a picture. Sounds like you are trying to take a picture where it is too dark and there isn't enough contrast for the camera to obtain focus. I would suggest you watch these videos so you have an understanding of how your camera's AF system works.

Join Canon USA's Rudy Winston for a two-hour session that will remove the veil of mystery, which for many photographers, surrounds their Canon EOS camera's autofocus system.

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2 

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does it work in Auto mode outside in daylight?

Sounds like the flashing is the focus assist light trying to help focus and its still too dark or not contrasty enough?

The more info you provide the more likely one of us can assist you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@violetas wrote:

In One Shot focus mode the camera needs to obtain focus before it can take a picture. Sounds like you are trying to take a picture where it is too dark and there isn't enough contrast for the camera to obtain focus. I would suggest you watch these videos so you have an understanding of how your camera's AF system works.

Join Canon USA's Rudy Winston for a two-hour session that will remove the veil of mystery, which for many photographers, surrounds their Canon EOS camera's autofocus system.

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2 

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

Thank you so much! 

I been playing with the camera and have found a few things: 

it does work with the other lenses, and it seems like the AF is the problem ( not the camera just me not understanding the concept) so i am watching the videos sugested and is helping, it still dont shoot regardless if is outside or inside.

Switch to manual focus and see if it shoots a pic.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Make sure you are in a very well lit area (if it's not where you want to take a photo... I'm just trying to diagnose the issue.). The camera ultimately must have enough light to achieve focus (extremely dim rooms can be problematic.  If you regularly had to shoot in such an environment then I'd suggest getting a Canon Speedlite flash with a built-in AF-assist beam such as a 430EX III-RT -- the assist beam allows the camera to focus even in complete darkness.)

Assuming you hear the focus motors and as you look through the viewfinder and notice that focus is changing, then it's probably not a lens problem.  If you do NOT hear the focus motors nor notice focus changing as you look through the viewfinder then it probably is a lens problem.

Switch the camera to "live-view" mode and attempt to focus.  Live view uses a completely different focus system, so it's possible that it may not achieve focus in viewfinder mode but does focus in live-view mode.  

If it will focus in live-view mode but won't focus in viewfinder mode then your AF assist sensors (located below the reflex mirror) may be blocked (possibly by dust).  Important:  DO NOT TOUCH the reflex mirror.   You can put the camera into a manual cleaning mode which will simply cause the mirror to swing up and fold out of the way (it also opens the shutter so that the sensor can be cleaned.).  You can use a hand-squeeze blower (such as a Giottos "Rocket Blower") and give it a few puffs of air (without letting the tip touch anything in the camera) to clear away any dust.  Do not use a can of compressed air because the propellant leaves a hazy residue and it won't come off without "wet cleaning" the sensor using special sensor swabs and special cleaning solution.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Did you get it resolved? What was the problem.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements