cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple exposure settings on 6D

moneyflylane
Contributor

I like to use multiple shot drive settings when using the 6D's  multiple expiosure picture style. eg: shots of a horse juimping a gate. But it seems only single shot drive works, is this correct?

13 REPLIES 13

I'm curious as to how you would use this feature?  It seems like you lose so much flexibilty compared to doing it in post (individual layer control, positioning, opacity, blending modes, ability to shoot RAW, etc).  Is the ability to do it in camera that important?  I'm not being dismissive, I'm genuinely curious how people see this feature useful.

Hi, You can still shoot in RAW with this and certainly the post process you mentioned is far more flexible  but it's fun to try this and see when it's useful.  It now appears that for my example;  a horse and rider jumping, fairly high speed things like that, the in camera process will not be applicable, the process you suggested would give me the results I am looking for.

glongstaff
Contributor

multiple exposure settings is used to overlay 2 or more photos to be combined as one image in the camera as opposed to be done in photoshop or other photographic manipulation software......

It is not used for what you are looking to do...that is continous shooting mode, and there isn't any function for the shutter to be released by the camera ...you have to do this for every shot! (just hold down the button!)

EOS 5D MKIII + EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Sigma DG 150-500 5-6.3 APO HSM, , EF 55-200mm 4.5-5.6 USM, Speedlite 430EXII

EOS 350D, EFS 18-55mm

amfoto1
Authority

This is a multiple exposure image...

Dakota's song

Not done "in camera", though. The wolf was photographed on film (later scanned into a digital image) with an Elan 7E, 28-135mm lens and 550EX flash, and the moon was shot digitally with a 10D, 500/4 IS lens and 2X teleconverter. The two images were combined in Photoshop.

The series below was shot with a 7D on continuous high speed drive, which is 8 frames per second, with 70-200mm lens, using AI Servo focus (and Back Button Focusing)...Jumper 1

Jump 2

Jumper 3

Jump 3

So, what are you trying to do?

The 6D's high speed drive only gives 4.5 frames per second, so you shouldn't expect to get 3 or 4 shots of a horse and rider going over a jump (which takes less than 1 second). I rarely get 4 usable frames, even with the 8 fps of the 7D.

And, frankly, you still might see much better results by learning to carefully time a single shot for the peak moment of the action.... rather than using a high frame rate "spray and pray" technique (as it's called by some folks).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements