cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mixing and matching

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

I have what I suppose to be a first gen 1.4x TC that I use with my 600mm f4 lens.

I am thinking of buying the 7D2 and the current 100-400 is II as well.    Would the old TC work with that,

or would the new electronics require the newest gen 1.4?

It is hard to have to replace everything!  (I am sure many of you have gone through this).

Mitch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mitchmcc wrote:

7D2 + 1.4 (iii) + 100-400 II   (or substitute the 80D for the 7D2)

I greatly appreciate everyone's help, as I want to put in my order pretty soon.

Mitch

I have already put in my two cents.  Make your own choice, based on your own priorities and needs, not the preferences of someone else.

With the 7D2 + 1.4XIII + 100-400mm II = One AF point, the center AF point.

With the 80D + 1.4XIII + 100-400mm II = 27 AF points, three rows of 9 AF points.

The choice is a tough one.  Each body had distinct advantages over the other.  Hands down, the 7D2 has a better build and body.  It has a slightly higher frame rate, which is meaningless with a slow lens, or a slower AF system at f/8.

On the other hand, the 80D has higher resolution, lower ISO noise, and better AF tracking [higher keeps rate, IMHO] due to a better AF sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

It is usually a 'less is more' thing. Don't go overboard.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"That gives an f8 at at least 560mm, ..."

I shoot my Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens at f8 all the time.

@EOS 1DX @ 600mm, f8, 1/1250 SS. 1600 ISO

_OS15290-Edit.jpg

I hand hold almost all my bird shots but 560mm on a 7D Mk II with its crop advantage is going to be a real challenge to hold still at nearly 900mm. Of course I would give it a go! Smiley Happy

Interestingly, if you get out a magnifying glass, that picture is sharper than it looks. I guess it's one of the few instances where a blurry background doesn't really serve its intended purpose.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I guess it's one of the few instances where a blurry background doesn't really serve its intended purpose."

Although I have no idea what you are trying to say, the shot simply shows a Great Blue Heron perched in a tree! A quick snapshot I took while fishing at Pomona Lake.

Yes, I carry my 1DX and big Siggy plus all my fishing gear at the same time. Doesn't everybody?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements