Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎08-11-2018
Accepted Solution

mixing and matching

I have what I suppose to be a first gen 1.4x TC that I use with my 600mm f4 lens.

 

I am thinking of buying the 7D2 and the current 100-400 is II as well.    Would the old TC work with that,

or would the new electronics require the newest gen 1.4?

 

It is hard to have to replace everything!  (I am sure many of you have gone through this).

 

Mitch

VIP
Posts: 8,340
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: mixing and matching


@mitchmcc wrote:

I have what I suppose to be a first gen 1.4x TC that I use with my 600mm f4 lens.

 

I am thinking of buying the 7D2 and the current 100-400 is II as well.    Would the old TC work with that,

or would the new electronics require the newest gen 1.4?

 

It is hard to have to replace everything!  (I am sure many of you have gone through this).

 

Mitch


What body are you presently using?

 

If you want to use the 100-400mm II with the teleconverter, then you will need the 1.4x III.  You will need it to get active AF points at 400mm, when combined with the 7D2..  I would have to look it up, but I doubt the older TC would allow for any f/8 AF points.

 

The 7D2 will only give you one f/8 AF with the combo.  As good as the 7D2 is, I do not think it is as a good of a choice as it once was.  Both the 80D and the 6D2 will give you 27 AF points with that same lens and TC combination.  

 

The 80D and 6D2 bodies also have AF systems that are the equal of 7D2, if not better because of the more sensitive AF points.  The only real AF advantage the 7D2 has are the AF Case presets, which can be emulated with a custom shooting mode: C!, C2..   And, the 7D2 is due for an upgrade at any time now.

I am not suggesting that you not buy the 7D2.  Just realize that less costly bodies can equal its’ AF performance, and have lower noise and better IQ, IMHO.  The 7D2 still has the better build, dual CPUs and card slots.  But, that’s it.  

 

But, if you’re shooting with a 600mm f/4, then you may want to have one just the same, and have already weighed all of these factors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎08-11-2018

Re: mixing and matching

Thanks for the detailed reply.   I *was* wondering if the 80D might be a good choice, as I am

not a professional photographer and would just as soon keep all of my money in my lenses.

I will review the 80D specs before I make any decision.

 

Mitch

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,815
Registered: ‎06-11-2013

Re: mixing and matching

What’ types of things do you normally shoot?

 

The 7D II is somewhat optimized toward action photography.  If this isn’t what you primarily shoot, you might just be as happy with an 80D.

 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
VIP
Posts: 8,340
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: mixing and matching


@mitchmcc wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply.   I *was* wondering if the 80D might be a good choice, as I am

not a professional photographer and would just as soon keep all of my money in my lenses.

I will review the 80D specs before I make any decision.

 

Mitch


I agree with Tim.  And, I ask again, what body are you currently using.

 

If you need a replacement for a nonfunctional body, then the 7D2 might be a good replacement.  But, if you already have a functioning body, then the 7D2 may not be the valuable upgrade that it used to be.  

The current Canon lineup for high performance APS-C sensor bodies is sort of stuck between golf clubs, at present.  The best choice, the 7D2, is becoming outdated technology.  Less costly bodies are have better IQ and AF sensors.

 

If, and when, Canon announces a DSLR to supersede the 7D2, if the lessons of the past are any indicator of the future, then any 7D3 will be a high performance, state of the art camera body for action photography.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎08-11-2018

Re: mixing and matching

Sorry, I thought I had said... I have a 30D.   And I shoot almost solely birds.

VIP
Posts: 11,351
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: mixing and matching

"Would the old TC work with that, ..."

 

The truth is it will work.  Almost anything can be made to 'work'.  The real question is, are you happy with the results? Everything that is newer or more current is going to work better and have better specs otherwise, why?

 

So, the question remains, are you good with how they preform.  IMHO, I would always choose the 7D Mk II over the 80D and I am a big fan of the 80D.  It is a camera I could love but not when you make it a 80D vs the 7D2.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,009
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: mixing and matching


@Waddizzle wrote:

@mitchmcc wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply.   I *was* wondering if the 80D might be a good choice, as I am

not a professional photographer and would just as soon keep all of my money in my lenses.

I will review the 80D specs before I make any decision.

 

Mitch


I agree with Tim.  And, I ask again, what body are you currently using.

 

If you need a replacement for a nonfunctional body, then the 7D2 might be a good replacement.  But, if you already have a functioning body, then the 7D2 may not be the valuable upgrade that it used to be.  

The current Canon lineup for high performance APS-C sensor bodies is sort of stuck between golf clubs, at present.  The best choice, the 7D2, is becoming outdated technology.  Less costly bodies are have better IQ and AF sensors.

 

If, and when, Canon announces a DSLR to supersede the 7D2, if the lessons of the past are any indicator of the future, then any 7D3 will be a high performance, state of the art camera body for action photography.


The 7D2 is, for all practical purposes, the APS-C equivalent of the 5D Mark III. The features and controls are virtually identical. (My wife once picked up my 5D3 and used it for an hour, thinking it was her 7D2.) So I'd expect the 7D3, if one materializes, to be the APS-C equivalent of the 5D Mark IV.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 11,351
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: mixing and matching

"...then the 7D2 may not be the valuable upgrade that it used to be."

 

It is if build and a robust body is at the top or near the top of your list of requirements.  The mostly plastic xxD and Rebel cameras are not even close to the 7 series in build.  And, no matter what camera comes out to replace the 7D2, the 7D2 will remain as one very capable camera.  It isn't as if as soon as a new body comes out the old one stops working.  It doesn't.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎08-11-2018

Re: mixing and matching

Is it reasonable to use the 1.4TC with the 100-400?   Or better, does anyone do this?

 

That gives an f8 at at least 560mm, not counting if you still get the 1.6 factor due to the body.

 

That is pretty slow for a lot of bird photography, but since I might end up taking this outfit places I cannot

carry my 600, it might be a good option.   Do you agree?

 

     7D2 + 1.4 (iii) + 100-400 II   (or substitute the 80D for the 7D2)

 

I greatly appreciate everyone's help, as I want to put in my order pretty soon.

 

Mitch

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement