cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory light flashing really fast with or without power on or cf card inserted or not no display

knocker27
Contributor

memory light flashing fast with or without power on or cf card inserted or out no power all displays blank as soon as battery inserted

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
What camera?

You get it to work at all or not?

If I understand correctly it is stuck "busy" trying to finish writing something to memory or to access memory.

If so I would take the battery completely out and leave it out for several days until the internal capacitor thingy loses all it's memory and then try again, preferably with a different card.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

canon 5d mk11 and i will try that let you know what happens

tried that still no joy its a canon 5d mk11 will try leaving out for a week

Open the memory card slot and eject the card.  Then look inside the slot.  Are there any bent pins?

If the pins are good, then do you have another card to test?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

no bent pins also does it with no memory card inserted will try another card when i get home

tried another card and battery out for a week still no joy does it with or without card inserted

You probably need to contact Canon and send it in for a repair quote.

I own both a 5D III and a 5D II. The difference in terms of ISO performance is small. The difference in the focusing system and in a few other areas is huge. But I wouldn't upgrade to a 5D III specifically for better ISO performance (there is some, but the 5D II does extremely well.)

I mention this because if I had a 5D II with a problem like your camera is experience AND if I knew the camera was in otherwise good condition, didn't have an outrageously high shutter count, etc. THEN I'd probably be very interested in the cost of "repair" for my existing camera before considering the cost of buying a new camera (unless you wanted a new camera anyway -- maybe you really want the new focus system).

A 6D is about $1700. If the cost of repair is less then ... maybe somewhere on the order of 50% to maybe even 70% of that amount then I'd probably fix the 5D II. If it's more (80% or higher) then I'd probably be shopping for a new camera.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements