Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎07-10-2014

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

One other weird thing I'm noticing is that some images look like they have motion blur, even at high shutter speeds like 1/320. And this is when working with a model in a portrait session. She was moving a fair amount, but I have no idea how I could have motion blur at 1/320 with her. I wonder if there is some incompatibility with those non-Canon lenses and the IBIS on the R5. I'll have to do some testing with it turned off. The downside to that is that on the R5, it is controlled by the IS switch on the lens, so that means I either get lens IS plus IBIS, or no IS at all.
VIP
Posts: 11,878
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

[ Edited ]

@johninbigd wrote:
One other weird thing I'm noticing is that some images look like they have motion blur, even at high shutter speeds like 1/320. And this is when working with a model in a portrait session. She was moving a fair amount, but I have no idea how I could have motion blur at 1/320 with her. I wonder if there is some incompatibility with those non-Canon lenses and the IBIS on the R5. I'll have to do some testing with it turned off. The downside to that is that on the R5, it is controlled by the IS switch on the lens, so that means I either get lens IS plus IBIS, or no IS at all.

Sorry, but 1/320 is not generally regarded as a "high shutter speed".  "High shutter speed"s are generally upwards of 1/1000 for full frame cameras, and 1/1600 for APS-C cameras.

 

[EDIT]. Professional models learn how to move, and freeze in a pose for the photographer.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎07-10-2014

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter


@Waddizzle wrote:

@johninbigd wrote:
One other weird thing I'm noticing is that some images look like they have motion blur, even at high shutter speeds like 1/320. And this is when working with a model in a portrait session. She was moving a fair amount, but I have no idea how I could have motion blur at 1/320 with her. I wonder if there is some incompatibility with those non-Canon lenses and the IBIS on the R5. I'll have to do some testing with it turned off. The downside to that is that on the R5, it is controlled by the IS switch on the lens, so that means I either get lens IS plus IBIS, or no IS at all.

Sorry, but 1/320 is not generally regarded as a "high shutter speed".  "High shutter speed"s are generally upwards of 1/1000 for full frame cameras, and 1/1600 for APS-C cameras.

 

[EDIT]. Professional models learn how to move, and freeze in a pose for the photographer.  


You don't think 1/320 is fast on a 50mm lens for a portrait? I've never noticed this sort of blur shooting that fast in a portrait session. I've never heard of anyone shooting at 1/1000 or over in a portrait session. Is that common?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,510
Registered: ‎01-25-2018

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

[ Edited ]

Unless your model is shivering from the cold, I wouldn't expect 1/320 to be too slow for the typical portrait shot with a 50mm lens.  I sometimes drop to 1/640 for high school sports in poor lighting and that freezes most football player motion.

 

I don't use my 5DS and 5DS R bodies for sports but I have noticed with these 50 MP bodies that it does appear to take a little faster shutter speed than typical for some situations.  It seems that highly pixel dense sensors will exacerbate any motion blur.  But 1/320 should be enough for portraits except under unusual conditions.

 

Put your camera on a tripod and shoot an inanimate object at 1/320 and that will show whether it is motion blur or something else causing the issue.

 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
VIP
Posts: 11,878
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter


@johninbigd wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@johninbigd wrote:
One other weird thing I'm noticing is that some images look like they have motion blur, even at high shutter speeds like 1/320. And this is when working with a model in a portrait session. She was moving a fair amount, but I have no idea how I could have motion blur at 1/320 with her. I wonder if there is some incompatibility with those non-Canon lenses and the IBIS on the R5. I'll have to do some testing with it turned off. The downside to that is that on the R5, it is controlled by the IS switch on the lens, so that means I either get lens IS plus IBIS, or no IS at all.

Sorry, but 1/320 is not generally regarded as a "high shutter speed".  "High shutter speed"s are generally upwards of 1/1000 for full frame cameras, and 1/1600 for APS-C cameras.

 

[EDIT]. Professional models learn how to move, and freeze in a pose for the photographer.  


You don't think 1/320 is fast on a 50mm lens for a portrait? I've never noticed this sort of blur shooting that fast in a portrait session. I've never heard of anyone shooting at 1/1000 or over in a portrait session. Is that common?


A 1/320 shutter speed is more than good enough for camera shake with a 50mm lens.  But, if you "she was moving a fair amount", then it sounds like you need a much faster shutter speed to freeze HER motion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
VIP
Posts: 11,878
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

[ Edited ]

@wq9nsc wrote:

Unless your model is shivering from the cold, I wouldn't expect 1/320 to be too slow for the typical portrait shot with a 50mm lens.  I sometimes drop to 1/640 for high school sports in poor lighting and that freezes most football player motion.

 

I don't use my 5DS and 5DS R bodies for sports but I have noticed with these 50 MP bodies that it does appear to take a little faster shutter speed than typical for some situations.  It seems that highly pixel dense sensors will exacerbate any motion blur.  But 1/320 should be enough for portraits except under unusual conditions.

 

Put your camera on a tripod and shoot an inanimate object at 1/320 and that will show whether it is motion blur or something else causing the issue.

 

Rodger


I have found that the closer, [and tighter] that I am to the moving subject, the faster the shutter speed that is needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement