Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

[ Edited ]

@bobbieturner1 wrote:
no camera shake since it was on a tripod of course. I will repost with actual exposure settings.

That is a false assumption.  It depends on the quality of your rig, and mirror lockup is advisable for critical focus, especially at 45MP.  Also, did you have IS turned on or off.  Like I said, your "test" appears to be fundamentally flawed on many levels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Esteemed Contributor

Mirror lockup?

Depending on the raw processor, different amounts of sharpening may be applied for the default settints, which may vary between cameras.

Occasional Contributor

Yes IS was off. However when I went back to check my R6 I noticed I had it set on mechanical shutter.
The bottom line is my images are not as sharp as my 5D and I have to figure it out. I have to figure out how not to have a “flawed” test and do it again.
VIP

@kvbarkley wrote:

Mirror lockup?

Depending on the raw processor, different amounts of sharpening may be applied for the default settints, which may vary between cameras.

Yeah, I know.  Mirrorless.  Electronic shutter, then.  Irregardless, leaving IS turned on would be a mistake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Contributor

No I did not do mirror lockup and yes I turned off my IS on the lens.
VIP

@bobbieturner1 wrote:
Yes IS was off. However when I went back to check my R6 I noticed I had it set on mechanical shutter.
The bottom line is my images are not as sharp as my 5D and I have to figure it out. I have to figure out how not to have a “flawed” test and do it again.

I see.  Have you tried comparing AF, too?  Right now, it looks like you simply missed focus on the R5.

BTW, when did we switch from the R5 to the R6?

Occasional Contributor

Yikes. I meant R5
Occasional Contributor

Canon just put out a firmware update for that lens.

Frequent Contributor

I'm having the same problem with my R5. I've done a few shoots with it and my results are absolutely not as sharp as with the EOS R. It's really frustrating and I haven't figured out the cause yet. 

Honored Contributor

FWIW:

Canon R5 Sensor Misalignment Issue CONFIRMED – No Sharp Images with Any Lens – Edit Photography

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic