cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking to purchase my first DSLR camera to take pictures of my sons sporting events

tamr0813
Apprentice

Mainly basketball and football.  Not looking to spend much over $1000.  Also best place to purchase.  I need all the help I can get!

11 REPLIES 11

diverhank
Authority

Any Rebel series camera will do just fine at this task.  For sports, especially football,  you will likely need a telephoto zoom lens like a 70-300mm in addition to the standard kit lens (e.g. 18-55mm).  There are many kits available that will include two lenses.  For your price range, I'd recommend either a T3i, T4i or T5i.

I usually shop online (B&H and Amazon).  For things that I'd like to touch and feel, Costco can't be beat.  They give you an extra year worth of warranty for your purchase.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

cicopo
Elite

Is the basketball indoors or outdoors? Also is the football primarily played during the day or are there evening games in less than ideal light? Makes a big difference on lens recommendations.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Basketball indoors.  football evening/night, and morning.

Indoors & low light demands what's known as "fast glass" meaning lenses which have large apertures (light path to the sensor) & they are expensive compared to consumer grade lenses. You will most likely need a lens like the 70-200 f 2.8 L to get good results at the indoor & night games along with using a high ISO setting to freeze the action. Even with a crop body that may be a bit short on the football field but anything longer & fast is really expensive.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Certainly not at the $1000 price point you required but the absolute best buy in the DSLR world today is the Canon 7D with a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC. This set-up is awesome. My second choice which would get you closer but still not a a grand is a Rebel T4i with the same lens. Maybe you could get one at a time. You won't be disappointed.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

tamr0813
Apprentice
I'm half way there - purchased a canon 60D today!

The 60D is a very nice DSLR especially if it is your first one. The lens is not exactly a world beater since it is so slow. But later on you can add better glass. You can certainly take some outstanding shots with your kit as is.

Best of all you met your price goal!Smiley Very Happy

Remember to consider the crop factor of the lens which makes it efeectively a 28-216mm. Under good light, it should do a reasonable job for sports.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

mel-lyn
Apprentice

Not sure if you are still looking, but I just bought one on QVC.  The EOS 60D at an amazing price.  Its today's Special Value and will prolly sell out.  So move quick

That is the one I bought today!! Seemed like a great deal so I went for it - can't wait to see how clueless I am when it arrives at my house!!
Announcements