cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is my camera faulty

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Just bought a second hand canon 1dIIn but its showing a strange patten has any one any thoughts is it faulty? thanks guys.

I also have a 7d and 600d never seen this happen before what lens it is a 300f4 prime with 1.4 ex. Any help thanks. 400iso shutter between 2500-4000 on a very sunny day no clouds. RG7W2644 copy.jpgRG7W2644.jpgRG7W2649 copy.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

well I bought a used 7d off ebay last year it seems fine to me.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

Thanks guys as always you helped me out I have used my 70-200 mk1 and took various pictures at different apertures and shutter speeds. below 1000s you can not see any thing or not much at 250s its almost impossible to see.

Yes the pictures were under exposed by half a stop forgive me for that as it is a very different camera to the 7d and 600d. As soon as I go up from 1000s-8000s it gets worse. Clearly its not a sensor issue. So its the shutter I new you guys would know what it was so much for a lens or extender issue hay. cheers guys. Looks like its going back to the seller on ebay he ant going to be happy.

To see if it is a dirty sensor, put any lens on (no teleconverter). Set the aperture to f/22 point the camera at blue sky and take a picture. Anything on the sensor will show up.

"Clearly its not a sensor issue. So its the shutter ..."

Hold on there mate. I don't believe it is the sensor but it may not be the shutter either.

" I new you guys would know what it was ..."

Right? They are nothing more than guesses.

"...  lens or extender issue ..."

Yes, it could be. The perfect "bow" that Peter pointed out lends itself to blame the lens.  Or at least a lens related fault.

You could have something In the mirror box causing a reflection, etc.

"Looks like its going back to the seller ..."

Probably your best option but if it is a user error, he may not give you a return.  You did clear all settings?  First?  The 1D Mk IIn is not a user friendly camera. It is best left to us old guys that grew up with one.  Without firewire you don't have complete access to all the controls.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Without firewire you don't have complete access to all the controls." 

That's what I thought about that camera.  If you cannot connect to it, then it works better on a shelf, than on a tripod. 

"well I bought a used 7d off ebay last year it seems fine to me."

I would say that you lucked out.  Don't push your luck. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As other say, it dosn´t need to be a shutter issue. Just my theory.

Another way to check if it is a shutter issue is to not use the shutter at all taking the picture. Simply use a lens cap that is removed and replaced for a long exposure. You wrote that the pattern isn´t visible at longer shutter speeds, so maybe it will not work for you.

Peter
Authority
Authority
That could also be because of f/2.8.
Announcements