cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is my camera faulty

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Just bought a second hand canon 1dIIn but its showing a strange patten has any one any thoughts is it faulty? thanks guys.

I also have a 7d and 600d never seen this happen before what lens it is a 300f4 prime with 1.4 ex. Any help thanks. 400iso shutter between 2500-4000 on a very sunny day no clouds. RG7W2644 copy.jpgRG7W2644.jpgRG7W2649 copy.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

Why do you keep taking test shots with the teleconverter?  Troubleshooting means eliminating possibilities, so get rid of the teleconverter.  It is only adding questions, not resolving them.  Get rid of any filters, too.  Just lens and camera, that's all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have taken shots with out the teleconverter both on the 300mm f4 and never use a teleconverter on my 150-600 c why would you want to use a teleconverter on the 150-600mm any way?

When testing the 300mm on its own you can still make out the patten.

Just to make this plain and simple I tested my 70-200mm could not tell in that test but then tested 300 +1.4 and you can see the patten then tried the 300mm no filter and no extender on it the patten is their but is not very clear.

I tried my sigma 150-600mm at 357mm and the patten is really clear and does show up.

So all in all its not the lens or the teleconverter is it?

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

I have taken shots with out the teleconverter both on the 300mm f4 and never use a teleconverter on my 150-600 c why would you want to use a teleconverter on the 150-600mm any way?

When testing the 300mm on its own you can still make out the patten.

Just to make this plain and simple I tested my 70-200mm could not tell in that test but then tested 300 +1.4 and you can see the patten then tried the 300mm no filter and no extender on it the patten is their but is not very clear.

I tried my sigma 150-600mm at 357mm and the patten is really clear and does show up.

So all in all its not the lens or the teleconverter is it?

We can only form opinions based on the shots that you post, all of which seem to use a filter and the teleconverter.  Sensor dirt should be pretty consistent, independent of the lens being used.  You need to take test shots at similar f/stops with the different lenses, preferably something pretty narrow.  Eliminate variables and unknowns.

Personally,  I strongly suspect that there is an image sensor related issue with the camera.  Stop confirming what you already seem to know.  It is not going away.  Get a refund, if you can.

Peter
Authority
Authority
To me it seems more like a shutter issue. What else would give the perfect shape of a half bow, and at the same place where the shutter curtain is hold together?

If it is that, then a different shutter speed would make it worse or better. For example a long shutter speed, 30 seconds, would make it less and a short would make it to appear more.

peter that could explain why when I tried a test shot in my home studio at 160th of a second at 2.8 70-200 i could not see this effect.

Paul,

I am with Peter on this.  I doubt it is the sensor.  You can't get at the actual sensor in cleaning anyway.  I would try to determine if it is the shutter or your lenses.

The 1D Mk IIn is a great camera. I still own one and use it on occasion.  CPS (Canon) will not service them any longer so if it needs a shutter, or any thing else, you will have to find a private shop.  Problem is they aren't worth much so reapiring is not a first option.

You need to clear all settings. You can't clear personal settings unless you have a firewire set up. That's a bad thing.  There may be a setting that is wrong.  Your shots look way under exposed so I think a setting may be wrong at any rate.

I used my 1Dn just yesterday. The old Siggy 150-500 lives on it.

_DS31212.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Peter wrote:
To me it seems more like a shutter issue. What else would give the perfect shape of a half bow, and at the same place where the shutter curtain is hold together?

If it is that, then a different shutter speed would make it worse or better. For example a long shutter speed, 30 seconds, would make it less and a short would make it to appear more.

So the theory, then, is that it's a shutter-related light leak?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Peter wrote:

So the theory, then, is that it's a shutter-related light leak?

If the 1DIIn has the shutter curtains placed from the right, if you are standing behind the camera, my theory is that something is leaking light, for example the metal pin holding a shutter blade. Of course just a theory. I have never seen this kind of issue before with that perfect half bow.

Thanks guys as always you helped me out I have used my 70-200 mk1 and took various pictures at different apertures and shutter speeds. below 1000s you can not see any thing or not much at 250s its almost impossible to see.

Yes the pictures were under exposed by half a stop forgive me for that as it is a very different camera to the 7d and 600d. As soon as I go up from 1000s-8000s it gets worse. Clearly its not a sensor issue. So its the shutter I new you guys would know what it was so much for a lens or extender issue hay. cheers guys. Looks like its going back to the seller on ebay he ant going to be happy.

"Looks like its going back to the seller on ebay he ant going to be happy." 

Why would you want to purchase a used camera on ebay?  Maybe it's me, but I would never purchase a used anything on ebay.  Sight unseen, too?  While it may cost a bit more, I would only buy used gear from a major online retailer like B&H, Adorama, and KEH.  At least they have rating systems, which appear to be pretty honest, and accurate.

Isn't kind of hard hooking up that old camera to today's computer hardware?

Announcements