Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

is it true you can't automatically set the timer to take a picture directly from the camera?

i have an eos60d canon and can't set a timer to take a picture of a group with me in it. is that true. i have a rebel and it can do it?

Re: is it true you can't automatically set the timer to take a picture directly from the camera?

Hi, audrc!

The EOS 60D does, in fact, have a self-timer feature.  In any shooting mode, you can press the DRIVE button and choose either a 10-second self-timer or a 2-second self-timer.  Pressing the shutter button will commence the countdown.

More information on this feature can be found on page 82 of your camera's instruction manual.

We hope this helps!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: is it true you can't automatically set the timer to take a picture directly from the camera?

Sure you can.  

You can also pick up the very inexpensive Canon RC-6 remote control.  This simple remote has a switch allowing you to use the remote to take a picture either (a) instantly or (b) take an exposure after a 2-second dealy.

The 2-second delay mode allows you to be in the photo, press the button on the remote, then "hide" the remote before the camera takes the photo -- so that you don't end up with a photo of you pressing the button on the remote.  ;-)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da