cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it normal for my new 80d to make creeking sound everytime i handle it by the grip?

Leeman84
Contributor

new to DSLRs and i purchased a new 80d from best buy and the camera is awesome but it seems to make a creeking sound everytime i grab it from the hand grip on the right? is that just a normal thing to expect since its ruber and plastice body, or could something be be loose?

20 REPLIES 20

diverhank
Authority

You should wiggle the lens to see if that's the source of the sound...there is a certain "play" between the lens and the body mount and I consider that normal.  Anything else...there should be cause for concern.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

i can here it even with the lens off, but worse when i have the heavier 18-135 usm lens on it. i can see the way the battery is stored that its surrounded by thin material and placed more inside the handle instead of being parallel with the body like the t6s. its not bad just kinda anoying.  im going to stop by bestbuy to check out the floor model to see if that deos it to, just wanted to see if others with the camera hear the same thing.

@Leeman84 wrote:

i can here it even with the lens off, but worse when i have the heavier 18-135 usm lens on it. i can see the way the battery is stored that its surrounded by thin material and placed more inside the handle instead of being parallel with the body like the t6s. its not bad just kinda anoying.  im going to stop by bestbuy to check out the floor model to see if that deos it to, just wanted to see if others with the camera hear the same thing.

The 80D, unlike the Rebel series, is built like a tank with magnesium alloy body and covered by polycarbonate exterior.  Without shaking it, there should not be any creaking sound of any kind.  I don't have the 80D but none of my Canon cameras make any sound except for the lens (when I wiggle it around).  I don't think it's normal.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

On some cameras, the orientation sensor makes a slight ticking as the camera is rotated from portrait to landscape

sounds more like a loose grip kinda like a wood floor creeking when you step

@Leeman84 wrote:

sounds more like a loose grip kinda like a wood floor creeking when you step

Is it a Canon grip or a 3rd-party grip? A Canon grip, if it's fastened in properly, should probably not rattle or squeak.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have the exact same issue with my 80D, exactly like you describe with the creeking sound especially with a heavier lens.

I had an ever bigger issue when my AF system quit on me during a photoshoot. When I went to use back button AF the lens struggled to find focus and when it did lock in, the AF point was still blurry, upon depressing the shutter the camera would turn off without engaging the shutter. I had to use manual focus for the rest of the shoot. I later read an article that the 80D has trouble with third party lenses. That is, it is slower to focus and causes camera to shut off and such. The article noted a 24-70mm Tamron lens was used, exactly what I have.

Long story short, I sent my camera to Canon noting issues with the AF system as well as the creeking sound of the hand grip. The camera came back with the AF system issue resolved but zero mention of the hand grip being loose and it is still loose. So frustrating.

@Jerrygarcia3 wrote:

I have the exact same issue with my 80D, exactly like you describe with the creeking sound especially with a heavier lens.

I had an ever bigger issue when my AF system quit on me during a photoshoot. When I went to use back button AF the lens struggled to find focus and when it did lock in, the AF point was still blurry, upon depressing the shutter the camera would turn off without engaging the shutter. I had to use manual focus for the rest of the shoot. I later read an article that the 80D has trouble with third party lenses. That is, it is slower to focus and causes camera to shut off and such. The article noted a 24-70mm Tamron lens was used, exactly what I have.

Long story short, I sent my camera to Canon noting issues with the AF system as well as the creeking sound of the hand grip. The camera came back with the AF system issue resolved but zero mention of the hand grip being loose and it is still loose. So frustrating.

Contact them about the issue, so you can arrange to send it back.  Repairs come with a warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Leeman84
Contributor
It's brand new it's the hand grip on the body
Announcements