Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

image.canon compatibility?

I'm wondering if a 1DX III with the WFT-E9A will be compatible with the upcoming image.canon service. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: image.canon compatibility?

Greetings,

This is not a question anyone here, except Canon can answer.  If the option is part of the camera's FW, then yes. 

Contact Canon Sales. 1-800-652-2666

https://image.canon/st/en/index.html

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100
Frequent Contributor

Bingo. Thanks for taking time to reply!

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

This is not a question anyone here, except Canon can answer.  If the option is part of the camera's FW, then yes. 

Contact Canon Sales. 1-800-652-2666

https://image.canon/st/en/index.html

Honored Contributor

The Canon press release would imply no.

25FC44A0-43E5-4928-B383-60EA081AC300.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Frequent Contributor

Ah, so! Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The Canon press release would imply no.

25FC44A0-43E5-4928-B383-60EA081AC300.jpeg

The various footnotes referenced in that press release are not included, so let me guess: Turning on that feature voids your copyrights (or assigns them to Canon), yes?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Honored Contributor

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-detail...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bzzzt! Wrong guess. The footnotes don't say that at all. They say that photos are held for 30 days and then deleted—except that users may select up to 10GB of photos for long-term retention.

More interesting to me is the fact that the service will be available to older Canon cameras that have WiFi, albeit without automatic transfer: Wi-Fi enabled compatible Canon cameras released before the EOS R5 will support manual file transfer. Manual file transfer will be enabled from the start of the new service in April 2020.

Beginning "around June," Canon says, it will be possible to go directly from the camera to the Adobe Creative Cloud and other services. I take this to mean that photos made with the R5 will automatically transfer to Lightroom Classic on my Mac, if I so wish. Such a utility has long been a holy grail for me. It may not work for sports photographers making 20fps, but it'll be great for a nature macro photographer who makes three or four exposures per minute.