cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhoto won't import photos from new 70D

delphin
Apprentice

Hi - I'm hoping for some guidance. I was a Rebel Xsi user for years, and just got a 70D. I used to be able to plug my camera in and iphoto would open up and import everything. Now, it only works sporadically, which is even weirder than not working at all. Right now I have 100+ photos from two important events sitting on my memory card that iphoto won't recognize. It imported about a dozen photos I took today without a problem, though. The photos are viewable from the camera. I can't recall changing any settings between taking those photos and the ones I took today. It doesn't make a difference if I plug the SD card directly into my computer; the software is still not recognizing any of the photos that are on the card. Any ideas?

Using:

Canon EOS70D

Macbook Pro with iPhoto '09

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Note that on a 70D the WiFi feature must be disabled in order to transfer images to your computer via USB method.

This only applies to the cameras that have WiFi (70D & 6D).  

Also, if you do shoot in RAW format, then you'll need to make sure your computer is updated with the latest Camera RAW Updates from Apple.  This only applies to RAW... not JPEG.  Also I noticed you mentioned iPhoto '09 ... which is rather old and made me wonder if your version of OS X might also be old.  Apples Camera RAW updates are provided at the operating system level (because the same Camera RAW update is shared by Finder, Preview, iPhoto, Aperture, and anything else that might need to decode a RAW file.  My point for mentioning this is that if your OS version is too old then Apple may no longer be providing updates.  In that case you'd need to updgrade the OS (but Apple gives their OS upgrades away -- they don't charge for them.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks but that doesn't explain how I was able to get the newer photos off the card while the older photos are still on the card and unaccessible. 

I missed your last sentence... that even if you plug the CF card directly into the computer iPhoto still wont necessarily read all the photos.

The card is just a flash storage device.  You might want to launch "Disk Utility" on your Mac and have it scan the CF card for errors... in case it's a card problem.  But if you're plugging the card driectly into the computer and it STILL wont read all the images, then it doesn't sound like it's a camera or USB problem.

Do you have a different memory card you can use to test?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements