tomgerner
Apprentice

iMac with Mavericks won't recognize new 60D

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi tomgerner!

Thanks for posting.

To help us determine what may be causing this, we would like to get some more information from you.

1. What software are you using to try to download from the camera?
  2. Are there any devices connected to your Mac other than the camera?
  3. Do you receive any error message when your camera is connected?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

No drivers are required on the Mac to use the camera.  The Mac will natively recongize the camera.  

You can install Canon's supplemental software or you can use the Apple provided software or 3rd party software.

However... when you connect a camera to a Mac and it recognizes the camera, you *can* configure what you want the computer to launch.  By default, a Mac will usually launch iPhoto.  

If you open iPhoto (do this EVEN if you don't want to use iPhoto) then go into iPhoto -> Preferences and look at the "General" category.  You'll see an option that reads:  "Connecting camera opens:" with a selection menu next to it.  You can use that menu to pick what you want your Mac to do, then close and quite iPhoto.

When connecting the camera to the computer, do the following:

1. Turn the camera off
  2. Use the supplied USB cord to attach the camera to the computer (some caveats here... I'll mention them below).
  3. Power the camera on after it's attached.

About those caveats on step 2.

The reason I say "use the supplied USB cord" instead of use any USB cord is because if you're like me... you've got LOTS of USB cords laying around.  Some of these come with devices that use USB for charging purposes.  And some of those USB cables ONLY bother to wire the power supply pins and not the data transfer pins.  In other words... it looks like a normal cable, but wont actually allow for data transfer.   You will need to take care to make sure you're using a proper cable.

Next I should caveat the use of USB hubs.  Whenever you're having a problem with a computer not recognizing a USB device, it's a good idea to disconnect extraneous USB devices that have nothing to do with your issue AND if there's a USB "hub" involved... bypass the hub and connect the camera directly to a USB port on the computer itself.  

I use a USB hub and this particular hub is reliable... but truthfully I had to buy three different hubs before I found one that worked reliably.  I've discovered there are a lot of flakey hubs on the market.  When in doubt... bypass the hub.  If you find that you can get your computer to recognize your camera on a consistent basis if you bypass the hub then you can direct your attention to finding a reliable hub.

That's the end of the caveats.  

I wrote a response to a user with a similar issue in which I detail the steps to use the Mac's System Information utility to determine if the camera is showing up as connected to the camera.  You can find that post here:

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/My-Macbook-Pro-will-not-recognize-my-Canon-Rebel-T3i-when-I...

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have this problem on my new 6D.  I followed steps suggested here by TCampbell which are the same steps I always use with my Rebel t3i. The camera doesn't show up in iPhoto or in the list of connected devices. I have WiFi turned off on camera. I am using an iMac with Yosemite and USB cable provided with camera. I also tried cable from my t3i.

SBainbridge,

If you use the Apple "System Profile" tool to view connected devices ("System Profile" is located in the "Utilities" folder) it only scans connected devices at launch... or if you select from the menu "File" -> "Refresh Information" (or press command+R).  

With the above in mind, does your T3i show up in the list of connected USB devices but your 6D will not show up?

The WiFi usually would be the culprit on a 6D or 70D, but you indicate you've already disabled this.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements