cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i bought a 5d mark 4 sports lens kit to take good pictures, but none of my pictures come out right.

obrien
Apprentice

what the title says. i need help because my pictures look bad.

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

What is a 5d4 sports lens kit?  I have never heard this term. 

Do you have a 5d4?

What lens are you using?

How exactly are the images bad? 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@obrien wrote:

what the title says. i need help because my pictures look bad.

I don't know of a Canon sports lens kit being sold with the 5D Mk IV. So whatever bundle you were sold was done by the dealer. What lens did they sell you? What kind of sports are you trying to take pictures of? 

As a general comment, you can't buy your way into good photography, especially sports photography.

I have to agree that you can't buy your way because there's a learning curve & many different venues with different idea of what makes for a correct photo. Some require freezing everything in the frame while others want some things frozen & others blurred to express there is motion. Be specific as to what you're trying to capture & how you have set the camera plus what are the conditions you're shooting in.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"i need help because my pictures look bad."

Two questions.

Where did you buy it and can you return it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We need more information in order to provide helpful replies.

We know which camera model you have, but we do not know which lens you have.  Can you provide the lens name (e.g. was it, for example, a "Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II"?)

Also, can you provide more details about your shooting circumstances?  In other words, can you provide with details such as:

• Which sport were you shooting?
  • Indoors or outdoors?  Is this an "indoor" sport like basketball?  Is this an "outdoor" sport, like football?  If it was an "outdoor" sport, was it played at night time (artificial field lighting as opposed to mid-day sunlight)
  • Where were you?  Were you shooting from the sidelines close to the playing court/field and able to move about freely?  Were you seated somewhere up the stands?
  • What sort of issues are you having?  Were the shots out of focus?  Were they blurred due to motion of the athletes?  Were they too dark?

It may be helpful to post a few examples (or a link to a few examples -- not all of them... just one or two particularly good examples that show the sorts of issues you are having.)    But please make sure that if your processing software offers to strip off the shooting information (aka "EXIF" data) that you leave the data intact.  That will tell us all sorts of things about the shot... the camera, the lens, the specific focal length, the focal ratio, the shutter speed, the camera's shooting mode, the focus mode... and more.

While the camera is impressive and you may even have been using a very impressive lens, knowing what settings to use to capture the images is very important and you can have poor results if you use the wrong settings.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

alexkoo
Apprentice

Is this a genuine post or do I miss anything? It's already morning time in Hong kong, assuming the post is from Asia.(more like it based on style of writing)

borderjack
Contributor
More information is needed as others have stated. I would recommend that you enroll in a basic photography class that explains camera settings for various situations. Just because you bought an expensive camera doesn't mean that the pictures will automatically be perfect just as a more expensive oven doesn't make for a better cook.

@borderjackwrote:
More information is needed as others have stated. I would recommend that you enroll in a basic photography class that explains camera settings for various situations. Just because you bought an expensive camera doesn't mean that the pictures will automatically be perfect just as a more expensive oven doesn't make for a better cook.

Correct. Better equipment will make almost any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you already are, the more difference better equipment makes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements