cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to remove face tracking rectangle from HDMI out? (EOS R)

clumsyninja
Apprentice

I have the clean HDMI enabled but no matter what I've tried I still get the face recognition rectangle showing up on the HDMI output. I do want face tracking on because I am trying to use this as a web cam. The result seems the same on both the HDMI out with a capture device as well as when using the Canon web cam software.

Below is an example when I pointed the camera at the screen to get some faces from the news

Screenshot 2021-02-12 104340.png

17 REPLIES 17

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Based on page 251 of the user guide (https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300032123/08/eosr-ug9-en.pdf) it looks like there are two things to do. First you want the HDMI display set to monitor only instead of monitor+camera LCD, then you should be able to use the [INFO.] button to cycle your display options.

unfortunately, the info button cycles everything on and off except the face/eye rectangle. If I switch the focus to manual, it goes away of course, but I need the tracking on.

The info button seems to cycle through 5 stages

settings screen, no video image
minimal info overlay
all info overlay
just the focus rectangle overlayed

It clearly takes five presses to cycle around, but the fifth press doesn't seem to change anything.

And doesn't seem related to the face tracking. in other focus modes I get the indicators for those modes

@clumsyninja wrote:

unfortunately, the info button cycles everything on and off except the face/eye rectangle. If I switch the focus to manual, it goes away of course, but I need the tracking on.

The info button seems to cycle through 5 stages

settings screen, no video image
minimal info overlay
all info overlay

It clearly takes five presses to cycle around, but the fifth press doesn't seem to change anything.

And doesn't seem related to the face tracking. in other focus modes I get the indicators for those modes

Is the camera in stills mode, or movie mode?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

movie mode 

Screenshot 2021-02-24 145532.png

Clean HDMI on EOS R

1A06484B-F28E-4FF9-B720-E1D1E34CE4D9.jpeg

yes I have that set, it does disable the camera screen and I can cycle through the various on screen elements with INFO but the focus indicators never go away as described in that section of the manual.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 103121.png

@clumsyninja wrote:

yes I have that set, it does disable the camera screen and I can cycle through the various on screen elements with INFO but the focus indicators never go away as described in that section of the manual.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 103121.png

Contact Canon Support.  

Mr_Scary
Contributor

Use movie mode, Disable Auto Focus, use manual focus

if using as a webcam, you won't need it anyway. 

Worked for me anyway..

EOS M50 / M15-45 / M55-200 / Vixia HF-M30
6950X / X99 / RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra / Win 10 Pro

henriquebr
Apprentice

This is an old problem. How difficult is it to remove this white layer from the autofocus via firmware. How long have users looked for this option?

Announcements