cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I set the Shutter Speed in Manual Mode on my EOS 70D

GenertaylorI
Apprentice

I recently was forced to upgrade to a Canon 70D after my 50D died from a fall.  I am not happy with the ease of setting the Shutter speed while in Manual mode.  The only way I can currently set the shutter speed while in Manual mode, is to go to the info screen and set the shutter speed with the touch screen.  The manual states that I should be able to set the Shutter speed with the Main Dial, behind the shutter release. ( which is how it was on the 50D).  I can control the Aperture with the quick control dial.  The Function Lock button is off.

I am sure this is do to some setting I have wrong, that is not allowing me to fix this issue, but I cant figure out what it could be after hours on the net and in the manual.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue.

Thanks

Gene

18 REPLIES 18

"I had purchased a Vivitar battery grip, ..."

Ok to be blunt (sorry) but to the point, this was/is a bad idea.  You really need to get the real deal Canon grip for your camera.

There is a possibility of damage from 3rd party accessories.  This also goes for the batteries, I hope you have geniune Canon brand batteries.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This would not be the first time I've heard of a 3rd party grip interfering with the normal function of the camera.

When a grip is attached (at least when a Canon grip is attached) the controls on the camera are not affected at all... everything works as you would expected.  The grip has it's own power switch which turns on it's local controls.

If the grip's local controls are switched on, then BOTH the buttons and dials on the grip as well as the controls on the main camera should all work.  You're supposed to be able to flip from horizontal shooting on the main camera, to veritcla shooting using the grip, and back again without having to throw any switches at all.

Your grip is not working correctly.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Gene,

Do other functions of the SS dial work?  Clearing all settings and/or clear custom functions are the only real reset that can easily be done to the 70D.

The lock switch must be down and if it is and still the SS doesn't work you will need to have it serviced.

EB

A final possible solution that I can think of is to do a "hard reset". Click on the link to check out the steps. It is not complicated at all - it takes time to drain out the memory battery inside if you don't find one that you can remove. There is no risk at all. So why rush to send it to Canon for repair. They charge a flat rate now (may be $250) plus shipping for even a minor fix.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1205511

ezpop,

Canon has dicided to go to a non-user replaceable memory battery so doing a hard reset is nearly imposibile.  Like I replied above the Clear all Settings is about it.

I believe this to be true of all the more recent DSLR designs from Canon. ( Excluding the 1 and 5 series cameras)

It would take several to many months of no use at all to completely drain that battery.

EB

Good to know that you have the problem resolved. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

happy shooting

Dear ebiggs 1

Your reply re hard reset is noted with thanks.

There is no harm bringing up all possible solutions. "Brain storming" really works. Right ?? Sharing information, experience and suggesting different ways to solve problems become an important function of forum of this kind.

I have sugested to clear all camera settings in my early reply and then pointed out the possible battery grip problem. The OP may not have solved the problem due to my suggestions DIRECTLY, my answers might inspire other Canon camera users in the future I believe.

Let's keep sharing.

"I have sugested to clear all camera settings in my early reply and then pointed out the possible battery grip problem. The OP may not have solved the problem due to my suggestions DIRECTLY, my answers might inspire other Canon camera users in the future I believe."

Let's keep sharing.

ezpop,

Absolutely. I agree totally. All possibile and especially the cheapest thing should be tried first.  Your suggestion of clearing everything or resetting is spot on. Smiley Happy  Usually the first thing I offer, too.

However in this case if I had known he had a cheap 3rd party grip we could have suggested he simply remove it.  If somebody has problems and they have installed 3rd party accessories, that is the place to start looking.  The worst contenders are batteries and chargers.  Firmware hacks come in a close second, even Magic Lantern.

BTW, I think you have offered good advice to questions.  Smiley Very Happy

EB

Dear ebiggs 1,

I am new to this forum and I am learning everyday. Thanks.

Announcements