cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I set the Shutter Speed in Manual Mode on my EOS 70D

GenertaylorI
Apprentice

I recently was forced to upgrade to a Canon 70D after my 50D died from a fall.  I am not happy with the ease of setting the Shutter speed while in Manual mode.  The only way I can currently set the shutter speed while in Manual mode, is to go to the info screen and set the shutter speed with the touch screen.  The manual states that I should be able to set the Shutter speed with the Main Dial, behind the shutter release. ( which is how it was on the 50D).  I can control the Aperture with the quick control dial.  The Function Lock button is off.

I am sure this is do to some setting I have wrong, that is not allowing me to fix this issue, but I cant figure out what it could be after hours on the net and in the manual.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue.

Thanks

Gene

18 REPLIES 18

ezpop
Rising Star

It shouldn't have this behaviour. Try reset the camera to default and see how it works out.capture-20150123-143835.png

Thanks for the reply.  

I did go to the custom controls and clear the settings.  But that did not fix the issue.  I still have no control of the sutter speed in Manual mode with the Main Dial.  

You mentioned resetting the camera.  I can not find a method to do that in the manual.  Suggestions?

did you do this : clear all camera settings (different from custom controls)

capture-20150123-162310.png

It's in P.61 of the  manual.

ezpop
Rising Star

BTW, did you customize the dials ? Go to the the C.Fn III and final out what you have done with the main dial - assign it to AV ?? etc

details here : http://blog.dojoklo.com/2013/08/15/canon-70d-tips-and-tricks-custom-controls/

capture-20150123-145452.png

Ok further update.

I went into the Custom Functions section and reversed the control of the Aperture control and the shutter control to the Main dial.  Still have no response on the main dial.  I have a Feeling that there is a problem with the main dial, not an issue with a control setting.

ezpop
Rising Star

More related info in the manual.capture-20150123-163953.pngcapture-20150123-163835.png

Another possible solution is to use a battery grip on your 70D and see if the dial on the grip will change the shutter speed.

There are some discussions about this problem on some earlier models Canon DSLR. Check it out.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2638326

Ok, Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!  I am truly excited to see such a response,  because I do frequent online forums for solutions to problems.  Brain Storming does work.

Last night at 2:30 am, I woke up thinking about the problem.  It hit me that I had not tried the camera with the battery grip removed.   Yep!  That was the problem.  I had purchased a Vivitar battery grip, to add weight and balance the camera with my L series lenses.   (Vivitar model VIV-PG-70D).   When the on/off switch on the battery grip is on, the Main Dial control switches to the Vertical Shutter release on the battery grip.  

Yep, I was that stupid to not check to see if the Main Dial functioned on the battery grip!

Now I know that the camera will have full power in the horizontal position, when the battery grip is switched off.  When I want to transfer control to the battery grip in Vertical position, I have to turn the power switch on, and functions are transferred to the battery grip.    

Just out of curiosity, does the Canon Battery Grip function in the same manner?

Announcements