cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grain problem with brand new 5D Mark IV and new version III 70-200 2.8

Kvstrman
Apprentice

I need some help.  I had an unfortunate accident involving my 5DS and 2.8 70-200 v II.  I decided that I would go with the 5D Mark IV instead this time and waited for the new version III of the lens.  I use the same shutter speed, f stop, higher megapixels than 5DS, and ISO as I did with the 5DS.  My pictures are noticeably grainier than my 5DS set up.  Even in pefect light, shooting airplanes at ISO 250, shutter speed 1250, and f stop of about 8, the sky is extremely grainy and the detail is poor.  I feel I may need to calibrate the lens to the camera body, but I do not think that would help with the grain situation.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you.  

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It would be good to see a photo example from the IV to see the grain you are seeing.  At ISO 250 that image should be extremely clean and detailed.  Are you sure that the camera is set for a full resolution RAW image (or L if you are using JPG)?  

The greater sensor pixel density of the 5DS makes a difference especially when doing extreme enlargements but the 5D IV will provide extremely clean and detailed images at any reasonable print size and its sensor has better noise performance as higher ISO is required from its larger (compared to the Ds) individual cell size.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I may need to calibrate the lens to the camera body, ..."

You can do that it won't hurt but it won't help.  I agree you need to review your settings.  First reset the camera to default. Always, always shoot Raw full size res.  It doesn't make any sense to buy a camera like the 5D Mk IV and shoot low res photos. And, it doesn't make any sense to not shoot Raw.

A sample photo would help.  I hope you are not just used to the 5DS photos and now the 5D4 just seems less. Please show an example.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

Raw sample file please. Use google drive or something like that.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements