cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full frame suggestions

tjkraemer1
Contributor

Hello ...I'm new to this forum and found some very informative feed back to some of the members questions so i figured id take some time to get some opinions for myself about my particular question. I currently own a 7dmk2 with a verity of "L" lens

( EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM,  EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.) as well as a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and 10-16 f/2.8. I mostly shoot sports and action type events as well as wildlife. I want to shoot more indoor activities and landscape/astro type work. I love my 7dmk2 and was wondering what your opinions are on a full frame camera since i already have the action type shots covered with the 7dmk22?

15 REPLIES 15

@tjkraemer1 wrote:

I would really like to thank everyone for the great advise. I do have a heavy duty tripod/ball head combo(benro TMA37c/Sirui K20x) that i use so I have that covered. Its not the best but it works well for me. Love that combo...Ive used my 7dmk2 and the 100-400mm lens and it works well. I pretty much decided on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II but am strugling with the 5dmk4. It has some features on it that I wont use much and am not sure if i want to pay the premium price for them. I wont use the video fuinction much. I did have a media card fail on me so I really like the idea of having dual card slots. Money is really not the deciding factor but the money saved by not buying the 5dmk4 could go toward the new 24-70. So i guess the real question is...look at the new 6dmk2 and accept that it only has one card slot or go with the either the 5dmk3 or 5dmk4. I quess i'll just have to figure that out on my own.

I recently reached a similar decision about the 5D4.  I passed it up and chose between a 5D3 and a 6D2.  All of the features that I liked most about the 5D4 are in the 6D2. 

The 6D2 seemed to be a better choice over the 5D3, because while it did not have dual card slots, it does have improved weather sealing over its' predecessor.  Both camera bodies are more robust than I am, so body build was not a deal maker or breaker for me.  I liked the 27 f/8 AF points in the 6D2, most of all.  

I like to walk arouind, and do casual shooting.  For me, it is a form of physical therapy.  Here are a couple of shots with the 6D2 and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM.

EOS 6D Mark II2017_09_240475.jpg

EOS 6D Mark II2017_09_240460.jpg

EOS 6D Mark II2017_09_240478.jpg

My one big complaint about the 6D2 is with the battery grip.  It is a significant jump in cost over the grip for the 6D.  But, the worst part is that a AA battery adapter is not included, something which the original grip had included.  Hey, Canon, are you listening?  What were you guys thinking?  Did someone drop the ball and just forget about the battery adapter?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Great shots! I think i may be leaning that was as well. As I am not a professional photographer and enjoy it as a hobby only, it may make more sense to go that route. I don't think i can go wrong with any of the 3 that i'm looking at. I have a couple more years to retirement and look forward to spending more time with my camera. Its therapeutic for me as well.

Now for the logical option.  If a person has the 5D Mk III the Mk IV is not worth the upgrade, IMHO.  If you have the 5D Mk II the Mk IV is a good upgrade.  If you have no camera, then the choice is the 5D Mk IV.  Don't get it and you will always wonder.  Especially when you don't get that one certain shot.  Buy the Mk IV and don't look back,  You know you want it.

It is just a better camera.  That's all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"On second thought you should buy the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon no matter what else you decide to do."

If you buy a 5D Mk IV don't buy the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  It won't work with it .

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would buy the 5D Mk IV or nothing. The other FF options are just going to cost money and offer little to nothing.

There are a few lenses that you can add if you have the $3000+ (5D Mk IV) to spend.

"( EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM,  EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.) as well as a sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and 10-16 f/2.8 ???"

The first two are great, the ladder two not my choice or favorites.  This is a sample of what I would buy from what you said.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon    (7D2 only)

Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens   (will be fantastic on a FF, too)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens           (will be fantastic on a FF, too)

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens          (7D2 only)

These are incredible lenses.

The flash would be so far down the list of what to buy as to not even make it on the list.  Forget it.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

On second thought you should buy the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon no matter what else you decide to do.

Sell the "sigma 17-50 f/2.8"  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements