cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

formatin sd card

chandy38
Apprentice

i have a canon eos 50d camera, and i have several sd cards that ive used on the camera. i tried to use them recently, and im getting an error message "card cannot be formatted". how do i format the card to my camera again?

9 REPLIES 9

chandy38
Apprentice

unable to format a previously sd card that was used by the camera before ... canon eos 50d

Since the 50D does not accept SD cards, you must be using an adapter. That's probably the source of your problem. Try using real CF cards instead.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

i'm using SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 30MB/s 8GB..... is this considered a SD card?

@chandy38 wrote:

i'm using SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 30MB/s 8GB..... is this considered a SD card?

No, that's a CF card. An SD card is smaller and thinner and has both a different shape and a different way of connecting to the camera. So I guess that eliminates an adapter as the problem.

I've used 8GB CF cards in my 50D many times with no issues. Have you tried a different card?

Bob

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but make sure that card is not write protected.   Check the switch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but make sure that card is not write protected.   Check the switch.

CF cards don't have WP switches. At least none that I ever saw did.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Ah, good call.  That explains that. I need more coffee.

I wonder if the OP is trying to use the camera to format the card, or if they're trying to do it by using the camera as you would a thumb stick, as a "mass storage device".   That shouldn't work, and you would probably get an error message stating "device is in use", "not authorized", or even "write protected".  The exact message would depend upon how the device driver interacted with the attached device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Ah, good call.  That explains that. I need more coffee.

Me too. I'm just finishing my first cup.

I wonder if the OP is trying to use the camera to format the card, or if they're trying to do it by using the camera as you would a thumb stick, as a "mass storage device".   That shouldn't work, and you would probably get an error message stating "device is in use", "not authorized", or even "write protected".  The exact message would depend upon how the device driver interacted with the attached device.

You may be onto something. Ordinarily you could format a card from a computer, using a card reader or maybe even with the card in the camera, and get away with it. But if you formatted it to a file system that the camera can't handle, the camera wouldn't know what to do. In the worst case it might be too confused to even reformat the card. So I guess the course of action would be to take the card out, reset the camera to factory settings, reformat the card to the right (FAT32?) file system on a computer, then try to reformat the card again in the camera. We may hear that the OP has already tried that, but it's at least worth mentioning.

Bob

SD adapters bad, CF card good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements