cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

every few photos washed out by flash with my canon 80d (with 100mm macro lens)

radmiladds
Apprentice

I have had my canon 80d (with 100mm macro lens) for a couple of years now.

I have used twin flashes and a ring flash - both Canon brands to take photos.

I take lots of patient photos and photos of teeth. I'll be going through a series of photos and they'll be good, and then all of a sudden, the flash will act up and wash out my pictures. I usually like to take pictures one after the other for the sake of time, but these washed out photos will appear and I won't notice until I'm looking through my photos later. It's frustrating!

I spoke to a friend of mine who is obsessed with photography and she thinks it's a problem with the camera body and something wrong with the syncing of the flash and my camera. Anyone have a simliar problem, and better yet a SOLUTION?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What make and model flash are you using?  Do you have light flicker enabled or disabled in the 80D?  

Are exposures suddenly different on the bad photos, or does exposure remain the same as more normal shots?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Anyone have a simliar problem, and better yet a SOLUTION?"

It isn't uncommon to have an overexposed or underexposed photo form time to time.  It happens.  If it happens regularly it isn't right. The solution is to send it to Canon for C&C. Explain exactly the issue. You might want to send the flash in, too.

"...she thinks it's a problem with the camera body and something wrong with the syncing ..."

She is probaly right and Canon is the only place to verify it. 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This crops up every once in a while here, but I have not heard of any solution

@kvbarkley wrote:

This crops up every once in a while here, but I have not heard of any solution

This problem crops up from time to time, flash or no flash.  

I do not know of a cure, either.  I used to experience this problem when I switched to camera body with a different button layout.  I really do not know what the problem or actual cure was, but it went away.  

The only thing that changed is that I had begun to use BBF, which meant I was paying more attention to what my thumb was doing.  My working theory is that I was accidentally locking exposure, most likely at times when I was not holding the camera up to my face.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

RexGig
Enthusiast

Be sure that you have not inadvertently started the Bracketing function. I did this, one time, with a 7D, though a ring lite was not a factor.

While using a Macro Ring Lite, for my evidentiary/forensic images, I would routinely dial-down the FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) at very close range. At or near 1:1 distance, I would usually be one full stop dialed-down, if I remember correctly. Perhaps somewhat more. At interim close-range distance, the FEC adjustment would be a bit less.

Really, at close-range/macro distance, reviewing the image, for exposure, is necessary, no matter how high one’s skill level.

The inverse square law effect becomes most noticeable at very close range. This would be especially true if one rocks forward, even a tiny bit, after the exposure has been locked by pressing the shutter button, so, one must work on remaining still. The same effect can occur if the subject moves, after exposure has been locked.

"Be sure that you have not inadvertently started the Bracketing function."

I doubt this is the issue. It would result in one photo under exposed and the OP did not indicate that.

EB

"This would be especially true if one rocks forward, even a tiny bit, ..."

This I like.  Smiley Happy  I agree, it could be the problem.

EB
Announcements