cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err 30 on 5d mk II

dimzspeed
Apprentice

I have canon 5d Mk II  ...and  suddenly  appears   Err 30  on display......anybody  can help  w' this problem,     thx

54 REPLIES 54

30 is a malfunctioning shutter.  As far as I know it has nothing to do with the main board.  Call Canon service!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

IworyS
Contributor
OK. Thank you

And bingo. After your replies I wonder if my camera is working with the 4th new shutter. It was maybe just the 30th shot or so after the replacement of 4th shutter and 6.000 something overall and ERR 30 again. I do not know what to do with this bull**bleep** actually. I have written almost an essay with my issues couple of months ago, nothing they replied. I tried again via canon site and fingerscrossed for their reply. I will never by a Canon again 😞

Well of course that is ridiculous. I put 80,000+ on my 5D Mk II.  Original shutter and many other pro photographers do like wise. The guy I sold it to is still using it.  If you have put 4 shutter assemblies in your 5d2, there is something wrong with the guy installing them.

BTW, "I will never by buy a Canon again"  Smiley Happy

" I tried again via canon site..."

What site?  If you did it here, this is not the Canon web site. It is s public forum owned and operated by Canon.  Canon won't respond to you here.

EB

Natursuntur
Contributor
The guy installing is a 20 year experienced Canon technician.
I wrote to both Canon usa and europe support sites.
Btw, thanks for the typo which was so obvious and easy to understand for anyone 🙂

"The problem is not necessarily shutter."

This is why I suggested the failure is from the person installing the shutters.

"The guy installing is a 20 year experienced Canon technician."

This may be true but if he was a real deal Canon employee you would have received a warranty and guarantee.  When you send a camera to Canon for repair they check the entire camera.  Not simply replace the shutter assembly.  The 5D Mk II is a fine camera and it is a durable camera.  Thousands of them out there are working just fine and yours can too.

EB

@Ernie:

What you're saying is true in the United States. Canon USA provides repair warranties for work done. This isn't necessarily the same everywhere. 

IworyS
Contributor
@Natursuntur I'm sending the camera to Canon. They said: The problem is not necessarily shutter. They want to do a proper diagnosis.
I'll know more within 1-2 weeks.

IworyS
Contributor
Norwegian Canon service has suggested to replace the shutter (for 5000nok apx.550€). Whole internet has suggested to replace the shutter. You wrote your self that problem is in the shutter. Would replacing help? Yes, maybe, for a moment. Than it would failed for unknown reason again.
So that's why I'm doing research. That's why I wrote many emails to different services and different countries. That's why I'm sending the camera to Poland- only them told me that they will check deeper (there is not much info about how is Canon doing diagnosis in general- so I had no idea). Why in the world would I expect that my err 30 is different than all the others? So why would I send the camera straight to Canon when I could pay half price to pro who has replaced houndeds of shutters without any troubles in past 25 years?

"...why would I send the camera straight to Canon when I could pay half price..."

I think you have your answer.  Canon will get it right.  Otherwise you get what you get.

About the fact it is not a USA Canon camera, this is a public USA Canon forum.  Is it not reasonable to assume that it is a Canon USA camera. It appears yet another reason to make sure you get true real deal Canon USA products.

EB
Announcements